Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor - Plan9 ; Skipping general offenses... > List manager: can we *please* just boot this guy until he comes back > as a real person? It's getting old. Is it _that_ annoying to you? I could just keep silent if it is so, ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    Skipping general offenses...

    > List manager: can we *please* just boot this guy until he comes back
    > as a real person? It's getting old.

    Is it _that_ annoying to you? I could just keep silent if it is so, no
    "booting" required. Though I have to say I don't understand how a handful
    of emails to a mailing list someone happens to read can irritate them to
    such extent. In passing, instead of a threat you could have simply let the
    first response be. Were it really a piece of useless text, it would rot on
    its own.

    --On Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:11 AM -0700 ron minnich
    wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Eris Discordia
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Basically, a terminal should not hold _any_ information on its users.
    >> Where does the security of not keeping authentication information on a
    >> so-called terminal go when you _keep_ it on the "terminal?" But with
    >> multiple users you're going to need authentication. Right?

    > Eris, this is getting a little boring. Are you really this ignorant of
    > what's going on? I don't mind ignorance
    > per se but you keep wasting people's time as they try to explain CS
    > 101 to you. Maybe you could start a blog and we could
    > all ignore it -- it's much easier that way.
    >

    >> My impression: the UNIX authentication "farce" happened because UNIX
    >> began as a replacement to a time-sharing system for more or less
    >> physically secure computers but then was downsized to an OS--many OS's,
    >> in fact--also usable on personal computers, e.g. 386BSD.

    > Your impression? Well, that's one way to go at it.. Of course, there
    > is the option of acquiring knowledge. It is more work however.
    >
    > If this is your picture of what happened then you need to go back and
    > do some reading.
    >
    > You leave the "impression", to me anyway, that you read a lot but I
    > can not tell that you actually do much of anything. And, to top it
    > off, you exist only as an imaginary wikipedia entry.
    >
    > List manager: can we *please* just boot this guy until he comes back
    > as a real person? It's getting old.
    >
    > ron

  2. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Eris Discordia
    wrote:

    > Is it _that_ annoying to you? I could just keep silent if it is so, no
    > "booting" required.

    goodness, it's not annoying. It's just a waste of breath, bandwidth,
    and bytes. Why not go do some reading and stop wasting all three?

    ron

  3. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    > goodness, it's not annoying. It's just a waste of breath, bandwidth,
    > and bytes. Why not go do some reading and stop wasting all three?

    Breath I should rather save. Bandwidth I pay for. Bytes I push down the
    pipe. I admit it also costs 9fans.net a very very tiny amount. Anyway, you
    won't get any more of this. End of transmission. ␄

    --On Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:39 PM -0700 ron minnich
    wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Eris Discordia
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is it _that_ annoying to you? I could just keep silent if it is so, no
    >> "booting" required.

    > goodness, it's not annoying. It's just a waste of breath, bandwidth,
    > and bytes. Why not go do some reading and stop wasting all three?
    >
    > ron

  4. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    >Anyway, you won't get any more of this. End of transmission. ␄

    Hurrah!

  5. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    Now if only we others would stop sending any more mails...

    On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Andrew Simmons wrote:
    >>Anyway, you won't get any more of this. End of transmission. ␄
    >>

    > Hurrah!

+ Reply to Thread