Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor - Plan9 ; > A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file > system, with multiple users. i think this is misleading. while the fs running on the terminal can have multiple users, it is not true that ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    > A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file
    > system, with multiple users.

    i think this is misleading. while the fs running on the terminal can have
    multiple users, it is not true that you can have multiple users using
    the cpu resources of a terminal concurrently.

    you can have all that and auth if you run a single machine with a cpu
    kernel with the downside that if you use the console you must be eve.

    since it's easy to get small, cheep, low-power machines, i run a
    traditional terminal with a seperate auth and fs.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    >> A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file
    >> system, with multiple users.

    > i think this is misleading. while the fs running on the terminal can have
    > multiple users, it is not true that you can have multiple users using
    > the cpu resources of a terminal concurrently.
    >
    > you can have all that and auth if you run a single machine with a cpu
    > kernel with the downside that if you use the console you must be eve.
    >
    > since it's easy to get small, cheep, low-power machines, i run a
    > traditional terminal with a seperate auth and fs.
    >
    > - erik

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nal/index.html

    John

  3. Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor

    On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > > A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file
    > > system, with multiple users.

    > i think this is misleading. while the fs running on the terminal can have
    > multiple users, it is not true that you can have multiple users using
    > the cpu resources of a terminal concurrently.
    >
    > you can have all that and auth if you run a single machine with a cpu
    > kernel with the downside that if you use the console you must be eve.
    >
    > since it's easy to get small, cheep, low-power machines, i run a
    > traditional terminal with a seperate auth and fs.

    You can even run 9vx as a totally reasonable terminal now... On a system
    that needs not be dedicated to Plan 9, and still have your CPU/FS/AUTH
    elsewhere. (Thanks Russ!)

    I'm a big fan of this approach, if people find it difficult to justify a
    whole machine as a Plan 9 terminal.

    I think Inferno is somewhat usable for this purpose even too right? I've
    just never managed to get it going (or admittedly spent much time trying).

    Dave

    > - erik

+ Reply to Thread