Re: [9fans] Mirrorarenas in p9p - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Mirrorarenas in p9p - Plan9 ; > - Is this going to cause any problems? > - Is there a better way to handle this? could you use disk/prep instead of disk/fdisk? prep should work in this situation as long as the sector size on both ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Mirrorarenas in p9p

    > - Is this going to cause any problems?
    > - Is there a better way to handle this?

    could you use disk/prep instead of disk/fdisk?
    prep should work in this situation as long as the
    sector size on both drives is the same.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] Mirrorarenas in p9p

    > > - Is this going to cause any problems?
    > > - Is there a better way to handle this?

    > could you use disk/prep instead of disk/fdisk?
    > prep should work in this situation as long as the
    > sector size on both drives is the same.

    I don't think so. Unless it's been added recently,
    p9p doesn't have prep. But even if it did, the
    subpartitions it creates wouldn't be visible to
    Linux, so I wouldn't have any way to name them
    for mirrorarenas. At least that's the way I
    understand it. It's certainly possible I'm
    mistaken, however.

    BTW the reason it's p9p on Linux instead of an
    actual Plan 9 install is that the particular
    hardware I scrounged has one of those SCSI
    controllers that can do RAID but has no driver
    in Plan 9. I did set it up before 9vx, though.
    So maybe I could rethink some things and build
    it all around that. It'd be a little weird
    because it's an archive server for UNIX machines
    using vbackup. So it runs vnfs to serve the
    dumps. But I suppose I could run venti in 9vx
    and vnfs in Linux and, in principle, I think
    it would work. Or I could probably compile
    vnfs under Plan 9 and run both under 9vx.
    Sorry to ramble. I'm brainstorming as I
    write...

    Thanks,
    BLS