[9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com - Plan9 ; Hi guys! Amazingly enough I've never had a chance to create an account for myself @sources.cs.bell-labs.com. And now that I finally decided to do so, the URL: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/newaccount.html seems to be gone. So, the question is -- how do I ...

  1. [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    Hi guys!

    Amazingly enough I've never had a chance to create an
    account for myself @sources.cs.bell-labs.com. And now
    that I finally decided to do so, the URL:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/newaccount.html
    seems to be gone.

    So, the question is -- how do I set things up so that
    $ 9fs sources.cs.bell-labs.com
    works?

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  2. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    hello

    Access to sources is anonymous since a couple of years (try 9fs sources), you only need an account if you're going to write in sources (contrib/). I think if you want an account to write there, you should contact someone at the labs (Geoff i think) or 9trouble.

    slds.

    gabi

    > Hi guys!
    >
    > Amazingly enough I've never had a chance to create an
    > account for myself @sources.cs.bell-labs.com. And now
    > that I finally decided to do so, the URL:
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/newaccount.html
    > seems to be gone.
    >
    > So, the question is -- how do I set things up so that
    > $ 9fs sources.cs.bell-labs.com
    > works?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Roman.

  3. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    Hi

    On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:51 +0200, gdiaz@9grid.es wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > Access to sources is anonymous since a couple of years (try 9fs sources),

    Thanks!!! mount -n solved my issue 100%.

    > you only need an account if you're going to write in sources (contrib/). I think if you want an account to write there, you should contact someone at the labs (Geoff i think) or 9trouble.

    Not yet ;-)

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  4. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:51 +0200, gdiaz@9grid.es wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > Access to sources is anonymous since a couple of years (try 9fs sources)

    Although, on a second though, if sources.cs.bell-labs.com doesn't
    require authentication it probably should reply with Rerror
    to a Tauth message. And it doesn't:
    term% aux/9pcon -n tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com
    Tversion 8192 9P2000
    -> Tversion tag 65535 msize 8192 version '9P2000'
    <- Rversion tag 65535 msize 8192 version '9P2000'
    Tauth 1 'roman' ''
    -> Tauth tag 1 afid 1 uname roman aname
    <- Rauth tag 1 qid (0000000000000001 0 A)

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  5. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    > Although, on a second though, if sources.cs.bell-labs.com doesn't
    > require authentication it probably should reply with Rerror
    > to a Tauth message. And it doesn't:
    > term% aux/9pcon -n tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com
    > Tversion 8192 9P2000
    > -> Tversion tag 65535 msize 8192 version '9P2000'
    > <- Rversion tag 65535 msize 8192 version '9P2000'
    > Tauth 1 'roman' ''
    > -> Tauth tag 1 afid 1 uname roman aname
    > <- Rauth tag 1 qid (0000000000000001 0 A)

    You're right for most servers: the convention
    is that if the server doesn't want authentication,
    it sends back an Rerror to Tauth.

    Sources is a bit different: it doesn't require
    authentication, but it will accept it.
    This is how it can tell who should be writing
    to each contrib directory, for example.

    The result of sources following your lead
    is that you need to use -n if you really intend
    not to authenticate.

    Russ

  6. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    // Sources is a bit different: it doesn't require
    // authentication, but it will accept it.

    Is this just 'listen -N' in fossilcons(8)?

    Given that listen and users are fossil-wide, rather
    than fsys-wide, it seems like duplicating what
    sources is doing at a "normal" Plan 9 installation
    would involve running a second fossil. If -N were
    on open (which seems reasonably close to open
    having -A), that wouldn't be the case. Correct?
    Anthony

  7. Re: [9fans] sources.cs.bell-labs.com

    > Is this just 'listen -N' in fossilcons(8)?
    > Given that listen and users are fossil-wide, rather
    > than fsys-wide, it seems like duplicating what
    > sources is doing at a "normal" Plan 9 installation
    > would involve running a second fossil. If -N were
    > on open (which seems reasonably close to open
    > having -A), that wouldn't be the case. Correct?

    That depends on what you mean by "duplicating what
    sources is doing." Sources runs two fossils (one it boots
    from and one it serves to the world) in two different
    authentication domains. You could pull that off with
    a single fossil instance (i.e., 9P and its clients could deal
    with seeing different authentication domains for different
    file systems), but it would be a fair amount of work to get
    everything lined up right. Much easier just to run
    two different fossils. Putting -N on open would be just
    one of many changes.

    If you had just one authentication domain, then
    having an open -N would let you make one of your
    file systems not require authentication, like sources,
    but still use a single 9P port. I'm not sure how useful
    that really is.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread