[9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD - Plan9 ; Hi 9fans, Does anyone know what the meaning/origin of "//GO.SYSIN DD" in bundle(1) is? I've seen this on other unix-likes as well, but I thought I'd ask here since the awareness of historical context seems to be quite a bit ...

  1. [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    Hi 9fans,

    Does anyone know what the meaning/origin of "//GO.SYSIN DD" in
    bundle(1) is? I've seen this on other unix-likes as well, but I
    thought I'd ask here since the awareness of historical context seems
    to be quite a bit above average on this list.

    Thanks, Sander.

  2. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

  3. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    I first saw it used in bundling software created by James Gosling,
    and liked the (relevant, I might add) joke so much I put it in the
    Plan 9 version.

    -rob

  4. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    In article ,
    Sander van Dijk wrote:
    >Does anyone know what the meaning/origin of "//GO.SYSIN DD" in
    >bundle(1) is? I've seen this on other unix-likes as well, but I
    >thought I'd ask here since the awareness of historical context seems
    >to be quite a bit above average on this list.

    Wow, never thought I'd see that again in my lifetime
    It's from JCL (Job Control Language) from IBM mainframes,
    in short, the "statement" in your subject involved a way
    to specify where your "default" input was coming from
    (it had/has other attributes you could add to the line to
    say more about the file etc). Dunno why it's coming along
    here but probably some sort of emulator or something similar.
    --
    Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!

  5. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    Charles, Rob, Greg,

    Thanks for the context.

    Greetings, Sander.

  6. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    more useless crap from memory:

    the actual correct usage is
    //GO.SYSIN DD *

    but of course the * would make things messy.

    See this and realize this stuff is still being taught!
    http://www.coba.unt.edu/itds/courses...0/bcis3690.htm

    ron

  7. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    ron minnich wrote:
    > more useless crap from memory:
    >
    > the actual correct usage is
    > //GO.SYSIN DD *
    >
    > but of course the * would make things messy.
    >
    > See this and realize this stuff is still being taught!
    > http://www.coba.unt.edu/itds/courses...90/bcis3690.ht

    So... for the dense ones (like myself), what IS the joke Rob was
    referring to? JCL == Java Control Language?

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  8. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    Job Control Language, I am not sure, but I belive was/is used in batch
    proccessing in the IBM Mainframes.

    Roman V. Shaposhnik escribió:
    > ron minnich wrote:
    >> more useless crap from memory:
    >>
    >> the actual correct usage is
    >> //GO.SYSIN DD *
    >>
    >> but of course the * would make things messy.
    >>
    >> See this and realize this stuff is still being taught!
    >> http://www.coba.unt.edu/itds/courses...90/bcis3690.ht

    > So... for the dense ones (like myself), what IS the joke Rob was
    > referring to? JCL == Java Control Language?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Roman.

  9. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    > Job Control Language, I am not sure, but I belive was/is used in batch
    > proccessing in the IBM Mainframes.

    if invented today, it would be called cobolscript.

    - erik

  10. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    >JCL == Java Control Language?

    the Job Control Language for System/360

    if you follow the link i gave you'll see more.

    bundles are implemented by here documents,
    and the end marker for the document must not appear
    in the data, and IBM JCL syntax (even if it were strictly correct)
    was unlikely to appear on Unix systems
    but would still have a cheery familiarity to some.
    the elaborate DD statement defines file associations for a job and
    can manipulate permanent files (commonly used with IEFBR14)

  11. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    Charles Forsyth wrote:
    >> JCL == Java Control Language?
    >>

    > the Job Control Language for System/360

    Yeah, I kind of knew that ;-) I was trying to come
    up with the best joke I could. If this is not it, I have
    no clue what could be funny about JCL ;-)
    > bundles are implemented by here documents,
    > and the end marker for the document must not appear
    > in the data, and IBM JCL syntax (even if it were strictly correct)
    > was unlikely to appear on Unix systems
    > but would still have a cheery familiarity to some.
    > the elaborate DD statement defines file associations for a job and
    > can manipulate permanent files (commonly used with IEFBR14)

    Now this does make sense.

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  12. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    > bundles are implemented by here documents,
    > and the end marker for the document must not appear
    > in the data

    vague recollection (1982), it was something like:

    //SYSIN DD *
    data
    records
    go
    here
    /*

  13. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    Now, if I can figure out how to do the over punch on this keyboard.

    Job control language was more like assembler with very, very simple
    operations. The problem was that a lot of verby things got put into the
    operands.

    DD means data definition. The first symbol, SYSIN in this case, is the
    name that the program will open. The operands after the DD operation
    specified the device at which SYSIN pointed. Splat was a sort of `here'
    document. The /* was the end-of-file for it.

    Everyone I knew carried the Brown book which has examples of the common
    permutations. You had to modify for your local OS installation. The
    Brown book was actually blue. The fellow should have been named Black.
    Because after banging your head on JCL it was Black and blue--not
    Brown and blue.

    Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
    >> bundles are implemented by here documents,
    >> and the end marker for the document must not appear
    >> in the data

    > vague recollection (1982), it was something like:
    >
    > //SYSIN DD *
    > data
    > records
    > go
    > here
    > /*

  14. Re: [9fans] bundle //GO.SYSIN DD

    In article <488F5686.6030904@sun.com>, Roman V. Shaposhnik wrote:
    >ron minnich wrote:
    >> more useless crap from memory:
    >>
    >> the actual correct usage is
    >> //GO.SYSIN DD *
    >>
    >> but of course the * would make things messy.
    >>
    >> See this and realize this stuff is still being taught!
    >> http://www.coba.unt.edu/itds/courses...90/bcis3690.ht

    >So... for the dense ones (like myself), what IS the joke Rob was
    >referring to? JCL == Java Control Language?

    I doubt it. Some files (some software packaged up) are make to unravel
    and install themselves on a number of different systems just by running
    the file, so I suspect it was a reference to something along those
    lines, though I'm totally wild guessing myself, but suspect it
    was being used something like a UNIX sh `here document', and he
    thought that as cute enough to drag along
    --
    Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!