[9fans] good fun - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] good fun - Plan9 ; I know a lot of folks on this list like history, so check this one out: http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/.../LA-6943-H.pdf " Further- more, by using clip leads to short one side of the vacuum-tube flipflops, you could actually change the contents of a ...

  1. [9fans] good fun

    I know a lot of folks on this list like history, so check this one out:
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/.../LA-6943-H.pdf

    " Further-
    more, by using clip leads to short one side of the
    vacuum-tube flipflops, you could actually change
    the contents of a register (while the machine was
    stopped). A skilled operator, like Don Bradford or
    Verna Ellingson Gardiner, could fetch a word into a
    register, make a change in it using clip leads, and
    store it back in memory in about the same time that
    most modern operators can type a one-line com-
    mand on a terminal.
    "

    enjoy.

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] good fun

    very, very cool. thanks for the link, ron.

    i wonder if richard feynman (who is mentioned) might
    have criticized the ops/s vs. time graph on p. 5 for being
    overly fit to one end point -- the accounting machines
    in the lower left?

    has anyone continued this graph to more recent times?

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] good fun

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > very, very cool. thanks for the link, ron.
    >
    > i wonder if richard feynman (who is mentioned) might
    > have criticized the ops/s vs. time graph on p. 5 for being
    > overly fit to one end point -- the accounting machines
    > in the lower left?
    >
    > has anyone continued this graph to more recent times?

    Would not be hard. Cray 1 is 1e8 in 1978 and we're now at 1e15.

    It's not a uniform graph. Interesting that we hit 1e12 in 2000 or so
    and are now at 1e15 ...I built a 10T in 2002, so there is a slight
    slowing, but not much.

    But those Cray 1 vs. cluster FLOP numbers are different. A Cray 1
    vector flop rate is not easily compared to a cluster flop rate.

    For $1m you can get a 40T system; the japanese earth simulator, 30T,
    probably cost about $500M to build including all costs.

    It's going to really ramp up with stuff like the Intel systems coming up.

    thanks

    ron

+ Reply to Thread