[9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook? - Plan9 ; I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9 working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming that it won't work out of the box? Anthony...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
    considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
    working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
    that it won't work out of the box?
    Anthony

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    The ISO I got that was supposed to work natively on an iMac had:
    - keyboard error messages (but I think it worked)
    - no working mouse
    - inverse video
    But good luck on a MacBook!

    On Jul 16, 2008, at 10:30 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

    > I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
    > considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
    > working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
    > that it won't work out of the box?
    > Anthony

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    This was an intel or ppc iMac? Did you make (if so,
    how) or acquire (if so, from where) this ISO?

    Getting that far would be much better than the
    current stock ISO, which gets to the ELCR print.
    Anthony

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    Intel - there is no prebuilt PPC binary. That ELCR point is what made
    me get QEMU in the first place. You can find the ISO somewhere in /n/
    sources/contrib. du and you can't miss it; it was made by someone else
    on the list.

    On Jul 16, 2008, at 10:40 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

    > This was an intel or ppc iMac? Did you make (if so,
    > how) or acquire (if so, from where) this ISO?
    >
    > Getting that far would be much better than the
    > current stock ISO, which gets to the ELCR print.
    > Anthony

  5. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    > I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
    > considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
    > working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
    > that it won't work out of the box?

    I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook. When I was
    first testing it out, there were problems with the
    SATA driver but Erik fixed those and it works fine
    now. The only change that you'll have to make is in
    the keyboard initialization for both the kernel and
    9load.

    Add the following at the beginning of these functions:
    /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c:/^kbdinit
    /sys/src/boot/pc/kbd.c:/^i8042init

    + c = inb(Status);
    + if(c & Rtimeout){
    + print("no keyboard present\n");
    + return;
    + }

    Oh, and you're going to need to supply a plan9.ini
    with sufficient parameters since you don't have
    keyboard input until you can run usb/kb.

    If I get some time on Saturday, I'll post a write-
    up on how to bootstrap the system using a spare
    partition on the Mac.

    Also, I started an ethernet driver for the Yukon 2
    chip that's in the Macbook. I had to put it aside
    for a while but I'm slowly getting back into it.

    Anthony

  6. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    > I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook.

    Is this likely to work on macbook pro as well, or is the
    architecture too different?

  7. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Anthony Martin wrote:

    > > I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
    > > considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
    > > working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
    > > that it won't work out of the box?

    > I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook. When I was
    > first testing it out, there were problems with the
    > SATA driver but Erik fixed those and it works fine
    > now. The only change that you'll have to make is in
    > the keyboard initialization for both the kernel and
    > 9load.

    Using boot camp I presume? So you have a BIOS. That or someone did EFI
    support under the radar (which might still be cool even though it sucks).

    > Add the following at the beginning of these functions:
    > /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c:/^kbdinit
    > /sys/src/boot/pc/kbd.c:/^i8042init
    >
    > + c = inb(Status);
    > + if(c & Rtimeout){
    > + print("no keyboard present\n");
    > + return;
    > + }
    >
    > Oh, and you're going to need to supply a plan9.ini
    > with sufficient parameters since you don't have
    > keyboard input until you can run usb/kb.
    >
    > If I get some time on Saturday, I'll post a write-
    > up on how to bootstrap the system using a spare
    > partition on the Mac.
    >
    > Also, I started an ethernet driver for the Yukon 2
    > chip that's in the Macbook. I had to put it aside
    > for a while but I'm slowly getting back into it.
    >
    > Anthony

+ Reply to Thread