Re: [9fans] 8 cores - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] 8 cores - Plan9 ; On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Benjamin Huntsman wrote: > That being said, while huge scalability is certainly research-worthy, does anyone actually run anything on Plan 9 that needs or would otherwise benefit from 8+ CPUs and more ...

  1. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    wrote:
    > That being said, while huge scalability is certainly research-worthy, does anyone actually run anything on Plan 9 that needs or would otherwise benefit from 8+ CPUs and more than a few GB's of RAM?

    The Blue gene HPC folks come to mind.

    > Furthermore, does anyone out there run Plan 9 on non-x86 hardware anymore?

    Some people would like to, but to my knowledge fourth edition hasn't
    been ported to any other platforms. I've heard rumors of a near
    complete x86_64 port, and there's occasional interest in sparc and ppc
    ports.
    -sqweek

  2. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    > Some people would like to, but to my knowledge fourth edition hasn't
    > been ported to any other platforms.

    Plan 9 has always run on multiple architectures,
    and the fourth edition is no different. ls /sys/src/9
    will show you that there are ports to the Alpha PC (alphapc)
    the HP iPaq (bitsy), and a few PowerPC boards (mtx, ppc).

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread