[9fans] 8 cores - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] 8 cores - Plan9 ; coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9 does work just fine with 8 cores. mpls; cat /dev/sysstat 0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0 1 9116 105177 2279 812 0 0 0 99 0 ...

  1. [9fans] 8 cores

    coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9
    does work just fine with 8 cores.

    mpls; cat /dev/sysstat
    0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0
    1 9116 105177 2279 812 0 0 0 99 0
    2 15142 106240 3578 1298 0 0 0 99 0
    3 9529 102845 2663 644 0 0 0 99 0
    4 15035 108986 3717 1285 0 0 0 99 0
    5 9054 105184 2198 744 0 0 0 99 0
    6 15222 106532 3633 1217 0 0 0 99 0
    7 9547 103239 2525 868 0 0 0 99 0

    this machine has more processor cache (24mb)
    than the entire unix room where i went to school.

    and it's only ½ of a 1u chassis. the other half,
    stpaul, has an identical configuration.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    Which hardware platform is that?
    -mlw

    coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9 does work just fine with 8 cores.

    mpls; cat /dev/sysstat
    0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0
    1 9116 105177 2279 812 0 0 0 99 0
    2 15142 106240 3578 1298 0 0 0 99 0
    3 9529 102845 2663 644 0 0 0 99 0
    4 15035 108986 3717 1285 0 0 0 99 0
    5 9054 105184 2198 744 0 0 0 99 0
    6 15222 106532 3633 1217 0 0 0 99 0
    7 9547 103239 2525 868 0 0 0 99 0

    this machine has more processor cache (24mb) than the entire unix room where i went to school.

    and it's only of a 1u chassis. the other half, stpaul, has an identical configuration.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    add this one to the list:

    http://9fans.net/archive/2003/12/182

  4. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    > Which hardware platform is that?
    > -mlw

    it's a generic xeon 5400-based machine.

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 18:28 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9
    > does work just fine with 8 cores.
    >
    > mpls; cat /dev/sysstat
    > 0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0

    Looking at the output 99% is idle time. Have you had a chance to
    look at this system when it is fully loaded with something
    meaningful?

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  6. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 18:28 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9
    >> does work just fine with 8 cores.
    >>
    >> mpls; cat /dev/sysstat
    >> 0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0

    > Looking at the output 99% is idle time. Have you had a chance to
    > look at this system when it is fully loaded with something
    > meaningful?

    not really. a kernel compile from ramfs took about 2.9s with an
    average of more than 3s of cpu used for every second of real time. a
    compile from the fs over a gigabit link took about 1s longer, but used
    far less cpu.

    neither is particular impressive, but i'm not using a great percentage
    of the cycles available ( ~3/8) and i am using the slowest processor on
    the sheet and, due to my misreading of the datasheet, i have only half
    the memory channels populated.

    did you have anything specific in mind?

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    Iruata Souza wrote:
    > On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Benjamin Huntsman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Furthermore, does anyone out there run Plan 9 on non-x86 hardware anymore?
    >>

    > only for the fun of it, I'm slowly trying to port it to my SGI O2.

    nice! whats the status of your port? have an SGI indy (IP22) and would
    like to
    contribute if i find the time :-)

    please put it somewhere!
    > iru

    cinap

  8. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 22:09 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 18:28 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > >> coming as no suprise, the pc port of plan 9
    > >> does work just fine with 8 cores.
    > >>
    > >> mpls; cat /dev/sysstat
    > >> 0 14271 213501 3399 1116 0 0 0 99 0

    > > Looking at the output 99% is idle time. Have you had a chance to
    > > look at this system when it is fully loaded with something
    > > meaningful?

    > not really. a kernel compile from ramfs took about 2.9s with an
    > average of more than 3s of cpu used for every second of real time. a
    > compile from the fs over a gigabit link took about 1s longer, but used
    > far less cpu.
    >
    > neither is particular impressive, but i'm not using a great percentage
    > of the cycles available ( ~3/8) and i am using the slowest processor on
    > the sheet and, due to my misreading of the datasheet, i have only half
    > the memory channels populated.

    I see.

    > did you have anything specific in mind?

    Not really, no. Most of the benchmarks that I'm familiar with
    would require a strong compiler support which is not (yet?)
    available on Plan9. Things like SPEC OMP and the like. I was
    looking more for a nice war story, I guess.

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  9. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Kernel Panic wrote:
    > Iruata Souza wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Benjamin Huntsman
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Furthermore, does anyone out there run Plan 9 on non-x86 hardware
    >>> anymore?
    >>>

    >> only for the fun of it, I'm slowly trying to port it to my SGI O2.
    >>

    > nice! whats the status of your port? have an SGI indy (IP22) and would like
    > contribute if i find the time :-)
    >
    > please put it somewhere!

    http://iru.oitobits.net/src/9sgi/
    good to know someone's interested besides me and Tim Weiss.

    iru

  10. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    >> nice! whats the status of your port? have an SGI indy (IP22) and would like
    >> contribute if i find the time :-)
    >>
    >> please put it somewhere!
    >>

    > http://iru.oitobits.net/src/9sgi/
    > good to know someone's interested besides me and Tim Weiss.
    >
    > iru

    Hi, good work

    does that mean it works or does that mean it's in progress ?

    I see from the mkfile some stuff is commented out so I guess the latter.
    I don't have any SGIs (unless you count 1 ps/2 keyboard).

    A readme in the folder would be a good idea

    matt

  11. Re: [9fans] 8 cores

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:42 AM, matt wrote:

    >>> nice! whats the status of your port? have an SGI indy (IP22) and would
    >>> like
    >>> contribute if i find the time :-)
    >>>
    >>> please put it somewhere!
    >>>

    >> http://iru.oitobits.net/src/9sgi/
    >> good to know someone's interested besides me and Tim Weiss.
    >>
    >> iru
    >>

    > Hi, good work
    >
    > does that mean it works or does that mean it's in progress ?
    >
    > I see from the mkfile some stuff is commented out so I guess the latter.
    > I don't have any SGIs (unless you count 1 ps/2 keyboard).
    >
    > A readme in the folder would be a good idea
    >
    > matt

    it's work in progress.
    I commented the bits which are not needed yet in the build process.
    the latest code have to be uploaded and the readme is a nice thing to add.

    if you want to test, gxemul is a good emulator and is where I do the
    testing of minor changes.

    thanks,
    iru

+ Reply to Thread