Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image - Plan9 ; (In the opposite style to usual, this was meant to go to the list, not private > i didn't want to sound over-confident. but vblade > is very simple; i don't see how it could have data-loosing > bugs. I ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image

    (In the opposite style to usual, this was meant to go to the list, not
    private

    > i didn't want to sound over-confident. but vblade
    > is very simple; i don't see how it could have data-loosing
    > bugs.

    I can't even remember how I made it blue-screen but I managed it a
    couple of times. I think one time was returning the string "hello" to
    whatever read requests were made :>

    > what are you doing with (to) vblade?

    Trying to do something interesting enough to write a paper for IWP,
    I'll get into detail when it works

    > snoopy's your friend. you can test just by killing vblade
    > and watching the packets go by.

    Wireshark's pretty good too. It even knows how to decode 9p streams.

    > good deal. about a year after i wrote vblade, i used it
    > for a couple of months while i saved up for a stand-alone
    > aoe target.

    :> I'm hoping to get a decent bit of kit together for the office here. I
    already boot the Linux terminals from AOE, hope to soon add the Windows
    machine.
    I built a Plan 9 installer iso that includes aoe & fs as a target but I
    haven't managed to get a working Plan 9 system out of it yet - I got a
    bit side-tracked

    In the Linux world kvlade looks the way to go for performance but it
    didn't work on AMD64 when I tried it. I guess the Coraid boxes make Plan
    9 go fast enough so I just need to stop worrying about it.

  2. Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image

    > In the Linux world kvlade looks the way to go for performance but it
    > didn't work on AMD64 when I tried it. I guess the Coraid boxes make Plan
    > 9 go fast enough so I just need to stop worrying about it.

    plan 9 is a good platform; it is very speedy and doesn't do anything
    to you. we didn't need to make it go fast.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image

    Indeed,
    I have been toying around with the idea of building a larger scale
    version of Mr. Minnich's lunchbox using Mini-ITX boards..
    But I have no justification, since virtually everything i need to do
    with plan 9 happens impossibly fast on just a simple vmware instance.
    Plan9 is sufficiently speedy to stifle my desire to build a fast system.

    John

    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> In the Linux world kvlade looks the way to go for performance but it
    >> didn't work on AMD64 when I tried it. I guess the Coraid boxes make Plan
    >> 9 go fast enough so I just need to stop worrying about it.

    > plan 9 is a good platform; it is very speedy and doesn't do anything
    > to you. we didn't need to make it go fast.
    >
    > - erik

+ Reply to Thread