Re: [9fans] file heuristics on troff input - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] file heuristics on troff input - Plan9 ; file(1): BUGS It can make mistakes. thanks for playing. russ...

  1. Re: [9fans] file heuristics on troff input

    file(1):

    BUGS
    It can make mistakes.

    thanks for playing.
    russ

  2. Re: [9fans] file heuristics on troff input

    one thing that has bugged me in the past: upas relies on file -m to
    determine the type of attachments, but file only reads the first block
    of the file, so if you've got a utf-8 file with the first non-ascii character
    beyond the 8192nd byte, you get corrupted mail.

    IMHO for the -m option, file should probably read the whole file,
    but there are probably good reasons for not doing so.

  3. Re: [9fans] file heuristics on troff input

    > one thing that has bugged me in the past: upas relies on file -m to
    > determine the type of attachments, but file only reads the first block
    > of the file, so if you've got a utf-8 file with the first non-ascii character
    > beyond the 8192nd byte, you get corrupted mail.
    >
    > IMHO for the -m option, file should probably read the whole file,
    > but there are probably good reasons for not doing so.

    by upas, i believe you mean marshal and ned. another option these
    days might be to default to utf-8 and not us-ascii. are there common
    mailers that can't handle ascii when sent as utf-8? i can't think of
    any off the top of my head.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread