Re: [9fans] char encoding problem - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] char encoding problem - Plan9 ; > I have a problem with one specific e-mail in p9p acme Mail: only some > part of it is displayed (~1/2) when I open it (right click) in acme > Mail. According to mutt, the encoding is iso-8859-15 and ...

  1. Re: [9fans] char encoding problem

    > I have a problem with one specific e-mail in p9p acme Mail: only some
    > part of it is displayed (~1/2) when I open it (right click) in acme
    > Mail. According to mutt, the encoding is iso-8859-15 and I can read it
    > fine there.
    > There does not seem to be anything special in the first line which is
    > "not there" in acme Mail; some accented characters but not different
    > from other ones which appear sooner in the mail.

    acme couldn't care less.
    mailfs is converting the message to utf-8
    (or not) according to the content headers.

    9p read mail/mbox/40/raw |grep -i '^content'
    might tell something useful,
    like what character set the message
    is claiming to be in.

    russ

  2. Re: [9fans] char encoding problem

    % 9p read mail/mbox/40/raw |grep -i '^content'

    Does it mean that the character set is in iso-8859-15 but the sender
    of the message somehow set it wrongly in the headers to be iso-8859-1?
    Hence mailfs is failing at trying to convert it from iso-8859-1 to utf-8
    because it trusts what's written in the headers?

    Thanks,
    Mathieu.

  3. Re: [9fans] char encoding problem

    > % 9p read mail/mbox/40/raw |grep -i '^content'
    >
    > Does it mean that the character set is in iso-8859-15 but the sender
    > of the message somehow set it wrongly in the headers to be iso-8859-1?
    > Hence mailfs is failing at trying to convert it from iso-8859-1 to utf-8
    > because it trusts what's written in the headers?

    it's hard to tell from this. the charset appears missing
    entirely. it may be that upas has misparsed the header.

    you may need to read all of mail/mbox/40/rawheader
    to find if the charset was really set to something.

    if it is misparsed, i'd like to fix the problem. you could
    send me the raw header offline.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread