[9fans] USB keyboard error - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] USB keyboard error - Plan9 ; Folks: I have recently installed Plan 9 on a Dell Optiplex GX200. So far everything seems to be working. This is my first foray into Plan 9 from many years with Linux & BSD and I am already very excited... ...

  1. [9fans] USB keyboard error

    Folks:

    I have recently installed Plan 9 on a Dell Optiplex GX200. So far
    everything seems to be working. This is my first foray into Plan 9 from
    many years with Linux & BSD and I am already very excited... it's almost
    like having a new child!

    This computer is attached to a KVM that includes USB keyboard & mouse
    via a single USB attachment to the Dell (the KVM is a USB hub,
    obviously).

    The mouse seems to work just fine but when I'm in rio and hit a key on
    the USB keyboard I get the following error:

    usb/kb: /dev/kbin: unknown device in # filename

    Would someone be able to decipher this for me? Is there something I can
    do with this information to get my USB keyboard to work? I'm not afraid
    of a little poking around provided someone can point me in the right
    direction (I've read other messages on the mailing list archives that
    indicate that USB keyboard support is somewhat spotty).

    I get the same error regardless of whether USB Emulation is enabled in
    the BIOS.

    Thanks in advance,

    Matt

  2. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    term% cat /dev/drivers | grep kbin # kbin(3)

  3. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    > term% cat /dev/drivers | grep kbin # kbin(3)

    Sorry about the terseness. I meant to also say that
    you'll have to add the kbin device to your kernel
    configuration and recompile. I don't think it's in
    the default.

    Anthony

  4. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    > This computer is attached to a KVM that includes USB keyboard & mouse
    > via a single USB attachment to the Dell (the KVM is a USB hub,
    > obviously).
    >
    > The mouse seems to work just fine but when I'm in rio and hit a key on
    > the USB keyboard I get the following error:
    >
    > usb/kb: /dev/kbin: unknown device in # filename

    it seems the prior diagnosis is correct. the cpu kernels
    cpu, cpuf don't have the kbin device built in.

    however i'm a little confused. do you start rio automaticly
    on your cpu server?

    since it's come up, what's the rationale for making the kbin device
    '#Ι' (capitol iota)? since 'Ι' looks just like 'I' with many fonts, i
    find it easy to confuse them.

    - erik
    '

  5. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    On 7/13/08, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > it seems the prior diagnosis is correct. the cpu kernels
    > cpu, cpuf don't have the kbin device built in.
    >
    > however i'm a little confused. do you start rio automaticly
    > on your cpu server?

    It seems that pcf doesn't have the kbin device built in either.

    Greetings, Sander.

  6. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:52:54AM -0700, Anthony Martin wrote:

    > > term% cat /dev/drivers | grep kbin # kbin(3)

    > Sorry about the terseness. I meant to also say that
    > you'll have to add the kbin device to your kernel
    > configuration and recompile. I don't think it's in
    > the default.

    Makes sense. Thanks, Anthony!

    Matt

  7. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:27:29AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > > This computer is attached to a KVM that includes USB keyboard & mouse
    > > via a single USB attachment to the Dell (the KVM is a USB hub,
    > > obviously).
    > >
    > > The mouse seems to work just fine but when I'm in rio and hit a key on
    > > the USB keyboard I get the following error:
    > >
    > > usb/kb: /dev/kbin: unknown device in # filename

    > it seems the prior diagnosis is correct. the cpu kernels
    > cpu, cpuf don't have the kbin device built in.
    >
    > however i'm a little confused. do you start rio automaticly
    > on your cpu server?

    I only have one Plan 9 installation thus far. It's all sitting on one
    box.

    > since it's come up, what's the rationale for making the kbin device
    > '#Ι' (capitol iota)? since 'Ι' looks just like 'I' with many fonts, i
    > find it easy to confuse them.

    Eh?

    Matt

  8. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    I've added kbin to pcf, so the set of distributed kernels with kbin in
    them is now pc, pccd, pcdisk and pcf. pcflop is excluded to try to
    keep its size down so that it will continue to fit on a floppy, though
    I suspect that that struggle will soon be lost and we'll have to use
    CDs for initial installation. There's already quite a bit missing
    from pcflop.

    We have some new machines on order and will need to revise the usb
    code for them.

  9. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard error

    On 7/13/08, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > I've added kbin to pcf, so the set of distributed kernels with kbin in
    > them is now pc, pccd, pcdisk and pcf.

    I noticed, after a pull, that the corresponding binaries haven't been
    updated. Just thought I'd mention it, in case they were
    unintentionally left out.

    Greetings, Sander.

+ Reply to Thread