Can't install Plan9 on VMWare - Plan9

This is a discussion on Can't install Plan9 on VMWare - Plan9 ; Hi! I've downloaded the Plan9 iso from http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html and tried to test the live cd. It wasn't really possible, at first the boot manager won't really react (the trick seems to wait a long time...) and then some error appears. ...

  1. Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    Hi!

    I've downloaded the Plan9 iso from
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html and tried to test the live
    cd. It wasn't really possible, at first the boot manager won't really react
    (the trick seems to wait a long time...) and then some error appears.
    But since I decided to install it on VMWare on Linux, this doesn't matter so
    much.
    There in the installation menu (textinst) I select all the default options
    and I end up (when doing copydist) with:
    cacheAllocBlock: xxx1 disk is full
    and so on...
    I also made a test doubling each partition's size (exept for nvram) and I
    ended up with some error that told me IIRC that for my large disc FAT16
    doesn't work out, so I would have to use FAT32. Trying to increment each
    partition lowly (starting from the default size) doesn't help either -
    moreover the error can even occur early with larger sizes. BTW the VMWare
    image has a size of 800MB (initially the image size was smaller) and the -
    default - partition sizes are the following:
    9fat 100 MB
    nvram 512 Bytes
    fossil 200 MB
    swap 100 MB
    Can anyone help me?

    Philip

  2. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > I also made a test doubling each partition's size (exept for nvram) and I
    > ended up with some error that told me IIRC that for my large disc FAT16
    > doesn't work out, so I would have to use FAT32. Trying to increment each
    > partition lowly (starting from the default size) doesn't help either -
    > moreover the error can even occur early with larger sizes. BTW the VMWare
    > image has a size of 800MB (initially the image size was smaller) and the -
    > default - partition sizes are the following:
    > 9fat 100 MB
    > nvram 512 Bytes
    > fossil 200 MB
    > swap 100 MB

    i would imagine 200mb is too small, given the size of the current
    dist.

    you don't need to increase the size of 9fat, either and you
    don't need a swap partition at all. with 800mb i would partition
    the disk like:

    9fat 20mb
    nvram 512 bytes
    fossil 700 mb

    the only thing that usually goes in 9fat is the kernel, 9load and
    plan9.ini. i use a 10mb 9fat, but the kernels i use are 650k
    compressed.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > you don't need to increase the size of 9fat, either and you
    > don't need a swap partition at all. with 800mb i would partition
    > the disk like:
    >
    > 9fat 20mb
    > nvram 512 bytes
    > fossil 700 mb

    Thank you for your help! This worked out...

    But now there's a new problem: After installing it and rebooting the
    computer, everything seems normal until the message "init:
    starting /bin/rc". Nothing happens then although the computer does not
    freeze (keyboard input is shown on the screen).

    Philip

  4. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    >> you don't need to increase the size of 9fat, either and you
    >> don't need a swap partition at all. with 800mb i would partition
    >> the disk like:
    >>
    >> 9fat 20mb
    >> nvram 512 bytes
    >> fossil 700 mb

    > Thank you for your help! This worked out...
    >
    > But now there's a new problem: After installing it and rebooting the
    > computer, everything seems normal until the message "init:
    > starting /bin/rc". Nothing happens then although the computer does not
    > freeze (keyboard input is shown on the screen).
    >
    > Philip

    Remove the CD-ROM drive from your VMware configuration and boot.

    John

  5. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > Thank you for your help! This worked out...
    >
    > But now there's a new problem: After installing it and rebooting the
    > computer, everything seems normal until the message "init:
    > starting /bin/rc". Nothing happens then although the computer does not
    > freeze (keyboard input is shown on the screen).
    >
    > Philip

    good deal.

    can you enter commands. if you type "echo hi" does
    it echo hi? if this is the case, you need to configure
    vga so you can start rio.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > Remove the CD-ROM drive from your VMware configuration and boot.
    >
    > John

    Thanks a lot! Problem solved... Still weird :-)

    Philip

  7. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > But now there's a new problem: After installing it and rebooting the
    > computer, everything seems normal until the message "init:
    > starting /bin/rc". Nothing happens then although the computer does not
    > freeze (keyboard input is shown on the screen).

    you either remove the cdrom from the virtual machine or make it to
    emulate scsi.
    if you're iso is more than 2 days old, you'll have to do
    % echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
    to get vga working well.

    Federico G. Benavento

    ---
    /bin/fortune
    Anyone who understands my music will never be unhappy again. -L. Van Beethoven

  8. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    > you either remove the cdrom from the virtual machine or make it to
    > emulate scsi.
    > if you're iso is more than 2 days old, you'll have to do
    > % echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
    > to get vga working well.

    I see, well I removed the cdrom. But when installing plan9 I entered ega (or
    was it cga?!) in order to not start rio. Maybe I should just run through the
    installation process again - which is extremely slow here.
    Anyways, text mode now works fine, but when I'm changing /dev/vgactl
    with "echo type vesa > /dev/vgactl" and "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl"
    after a reboot the file turns out to be the old one looking like this:
    type cga
    bland time 30 idle 0 state on
    hwaccel on
    hwblank off
    panning off
    addr p 0x0 v 0x0 size 0x0

    BTW: When I enter "echo type vga > /dev/vgactl" i get
    echo: write error: bad VGA control message "type vga". And it seems that
    I cannot edit the file with ed.

    Philip Silva

  9. Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Philip Silva wrote:
    >> you either remove the cdrom from the virtual machine or make it to
    >> emulate scsi.
    >> if you're iso is more than 2 days old, you'll have to do
    >> % echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
    >> to get vga working well.

    > I see, well I removed the cdrom. But when installing plan9 I entered ega (or
    > was it cga?!) in order to not start rio. Maybe I should just run through the
    > installation process again - which is extremely slow here.

    VMware is the fastest PC emulator i ever run.

    > Anyways, text mode now works fine, but when I'm changing /dev/vgactl
    > with "echo type vesa > /dev/vgactl" and "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl"

    only "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" should be sufficient

    > after a reboot the file turns out to be the old one looking like this:
    > type cga
    > bland time 30 idle 0 state on
    > hwaccel on
    > hwblank off
    > panning off
    > addr p 0x0 v 0x0 size 0x0
    >
    > BTW: When I enter "echo type vga > /dev/vgactl" i get
    > echo: write error: bad VGA control message "type vga". And it seems that
    > I cannot edit the file with ed.
    >
    > Philip Silva

    1. create virtual machine
    2. boot from CD
    3. if your graphics isn't readable, create with mouse new window and
    type "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" + Enter, "exit" + Enter
    4. screen will not refresh immediately, but you can type Enter and
    prompt will be refreshed
    5. go on with installation
    6. after that, before you reboot, edit your VMware configuration file
    (*.vmx) and change ide1:0.present = "TRUE" to false.
    (I suppose ide1:0 is your cd-rom)
    7. save and boot

    Here is my VMware config file (you could change ethernet connection
    type to bridge or whatever you use), maybe it helps you:

    config.version = "8"
    virtualHW.version = "6"
    virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

    displayName = "Monty"

    extendedConfigFile = "Monty.vmxf"

    guestOS = "other"

    memsize = "256"

    numvcpus = "2"

    nvram = "Monty.nvram"

    floppy0.present = "FALSE"

    ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide0:0.fileName = "Monty.vmdk"
    ide0:0.redo = ""

    ide1:0.present = "FALSE"
    ide1:0.fileName = "..\plan9.iso"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
    ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
    ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:14:4b:0a"
    ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
    ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
    ethernet0.vnet="VMnet1"

    tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"
    tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

    logging = "FALSE"

    uuid.location = "56 4d fe 9e 4d 1f ee a5-09 ec c7 eb 59 da e6 09"
    uuid.bios = "56 4d 01 b5 ac 72 1c dd-02 da c4 2a 37 14 4b 0a"

+ Reply to Thread