[9fans] "cloud" computing - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] "cloud" computing - Plan9 ; I have an application for 10,000 machines. One option is to buy them and run them, yuck! One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc: http://developer.amazonwebservices.c...?categoryID=84 Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines ...

  1. [9fans] "cloud" computing

    I have an application for 10,000 machines. One option is to buy them
    and run them, yuck!

    One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
    http://developer.amazonwebservices.c...?categoryID=84

    Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
    lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    is your app export-controlled?

    On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:04 PM, ron minnich wrote:
    > I have an application for 10,000 machines. One option is to buy them
    > and run them, yuck!

  3. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    Ron,

    > Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
    > lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

    We're using which has worked well for us.

    Good luck.

    --
    Mark F Rodriguez

  4. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:27 AM, andrey mirtchovski
    wrote:
    > is your app export-controlled?

    No. That was the first thought that hit my mind.

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    rminnich@gmail.com (ron minnich) writes:

    > One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
    > http://developer.amazonwebservices.c...?categoryID=84
    >
    > Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
    > lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

    These are basically all Xen machines. I don't know if you can run
    lguest within them, or if Amazon provides lguest-based instances.

  6. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Zak B. Elep wrote:
    > rminnich@gmail.com (ron minnich) writes:
    >
    >> One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
    >> http://developer.amazonwebservices.c...?categoryID=84
    >>
    >> Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
    >> lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

    > These are basically all Xen machines. I don't know if you can run
    > lguest within them, or if Amazon provides lguest-based instances.

    lguest can be installed as a module, so I don't think this would be a
    big problem -- of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
    problem....

    -eric

  7. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    > of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
    > problem....

    it didn't work for me on my virtual servers under user mode linux,
    which was hardly surprising. i haven't taken the time yet to discover
    precisely why not.

  8. Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing

    ericvh@gmail.com (Eric Van Hensbergen) writes:

    > lguest can be installed as a module, so I don't think this would be a
    > big problem -- of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
    > problem....

    Ahh right I forgot about that You'd probably want to build a custom
    machine image with lguest in; I should try this myself sometime...

+ Reply to Thread