[9fans] plan 9 newbie guide - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide - Plan9 ; this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington. the document proclaims itself to be: This is a quick-start guide to the user interface of the Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting started at Coraid. [...] ...

  1. [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide

    this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
    the document proclaims itself to be:

    This is a quick-start guide to the user interface of the
    Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
    started at Coraid.
    [...]
    This is not a technical guide to Plan 9. This is only a "guide
    for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.

    a temporary home for this document is here:

    http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide

    There have been similar efforts in the past, but this one is *really*
    nice. Concise, clear and covers basic stuff but fast enough.

    Do you have the troff source available? That would make it easier for
    people to expand it further. Also I would be happy to host an html
    version at http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/ if that is OK with you.

    Thanks, peace and best wishes

    uriel

    On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
    > the document proclaims itself to be:
    >
    > This is a quick-start guide to the user interface of the
    > Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
    > started at Coraid.
    > [...]
    > This is not a technical guide to Plan 9. This is only a "guide
    > for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.
    >
    > a temporary home for this document is here:
    >
    > http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
    >
    > - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide

    Michael is a very smart man with a great sense of language,
    sophisticated knowledge of computer science, but he was totally
    ignorant of Plan 9. That fact allowed him to record what he was
    learning. As time went by he was quickly loosing a sense of what he
    needed to know, becoming instead more knowledgeable of Plan 9. You
    and I can't expand his paper. We know too much. We should let
    Michael own the paper.

    Uriel wrote:
    > There have been similar efforts in the past, but this one is *really*
    > nice. Concise, clear and covers basic stuff but fast enough.
    >
    > Do you have the troff source available? That would make it easier for
    > people to expand it further. Also I would be happy to host an html
    > version at http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/ if that is OK with you.
    >
    > Thanks, peace and best wishes
    >
    > uriel
    >
    > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
    >> the document proclaims itself to be:
    >>
    >> This is a quick-start guide to the user interface of the
    >> Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
    >> started at Coraid.
    >> [...]
    >> This is not a technical guide to Plan 9. This is only a "guide
    >> for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.
    >>
    >> a temporary home for this document is here:
    >>
    >> http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
    >>
    >> - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide

    Good point and agreed.

    uriel

    On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Brantley Coile wrote:
    > Michael is a very smart man with a great sense of language, sophisticated
    > knowledge of computer science, but he was totally ignorant of Plan 9. That
    > fact allowed him to record what he was learning. As time went by he was
    > quickly loosing a sense of what he needed to know, becoming instead more
    > knowledgeable of Plan 9. You and I can't expand his paper. We know too
    > much. We should let Michael own the paper.
    >
    > Uriel wrote:
    >>
    >> There have been similar efforts in the past, but this one is *really*
    >> nice. Concise, clear and covers basic stuff but fast enough.
    >>
    >> Do you have the troff source available? That would make it easier for
    >> people to expand it further. Also I would be happy to host an html
    >> version at http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/ if that is OK with you.
    >>
    >> Thanks, peace and best wishes
    >>
    >> uriel
    >>
    >> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM, erik quanstrom
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
    >>> the document proclaims itself to be:
    >>>
    >>> This is a quick-start guide to the user interface of the
    >>> Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
    >>> started at Coraid.
    >>> [...]
    >>> This is not a technical guide to Plan 9. This is only a "guide
    >>> for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> a temporary home for this document is here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
    >>>
    >>> - erik

+ Reply to Thread