Re: [9fans] 9vx os x - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] 9vx os x - Plan9 ; > Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally, > resizing the window can make it crash with a > 9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6 > But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen! ...

  1. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    > Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
    > resizing the window can make it crash with a
    > 9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
    > But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
    > Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
    > render the window completely black.

    Presumably there is a race that needs fixing.
    I'll add it to the BUGS list and leave it for someone
    else for now.

    > The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
    > - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
    > - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol

    Haven't tried to reproduce these. Are you sure your
    acme config isn't different?

    > - The window geometry is different.

    This is true, but it seemed better. If there were some
    way to make the window start maximized (not full screen,
    but just where it would be if you clicked the +), I'd do that.

    > - it has to be explicitly put in background.

    If you know how to do that without OS X complaining
    (like it does if you use fork), please let me know.

    > A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
    > of the 9vx window.
    >
    > When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

    I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
    gotten it completely working. I have been using the 9ball
    from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
    tiny scales.

    If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
    directory, please let me know.

    > A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
    > two instances can't open the same port. But at least on
    > FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
    > full complement of ports.

    It's true. It's a different model.

    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    Greetings,

    It is running smoothly for me under 10.5.3 too.

    On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
    >> Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
    >> resizing the window can make it crash with a
    >> 9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
    >> But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
    >> Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
    >> render the window completely black.

    > Presumably there is a race that needs fixing.
    > I'll add it to the BUGS list and leave it for someone
    > else for now.
    >
    >> The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
    >> - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
    >> - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol

    > Haven't tried to reproduce these. Are you sure your
    > acme config isn't different?
    >
    >> - The window geometry is different.

    > This is true, but it seemed better. If there were some
    > way to make the window start maximized (not full screen,
    > but just where it would be if you clicked the +), I'd do that.

    If you are willing to calculate the screen geometry and manually
    specify the max size, this should be possible.
    I think it defaults to 3/4 of max in Acme SAC currently.

    >> - it has to be explicitly put in background.

    > If you know how to do that without OS X complaining
    > (like it does if you use fork), please let me know.
    >
    >> A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
    >> of the 9vx window.
    >>
    >> When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

    > I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
    > gotten it completely working. I have been using the 9ball
    > from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
    > tiny scales.
    >
    > If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
    > directory, please let me know.

    You can add icons to arbitrary files by right-clicking on the file,
    choosing "Get Info,"
    and pasting/drag-and-dropping the desired icon onto the tiny icon in
    the upper-left
    hand corner of the info window. The advantage to this approach is it's
    extremely simple.
    The disadvantage is only .app directories can be included in the dock
    as applications :-\

    >> A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
    >> two instances can't open the same port. But at least on
    >> FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
    >> full complement of ports.

    > It's true. It's a different model.
    >
    > Russ

    --underspecified

  3. Re: 9vx os x

    On Jun 29, 8:56*pm, "Russ Cox" wrote:

    > > When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

    > I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
    > gotten it completely working. *I have been using the 9ball
    > from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
    > tiny scales. *
    >
    > If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
    > directory, please let me know.

    You should be able to use the Carbon API to
    SetApplicationDockTileImage(img). Most likely keeping the icon in
    some path based off of the root, construct a CGImageRef from the data
    and call the mentioned function.

    -jas

+ Reply to Thread