[9fans] 9vx os x - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] 9vx os x - Plan9 ; I have not bothered to create a new package, but there is a new binary available for OS X: hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz chmod +x 9vx.OSX ./9vx.OSX -r your-root Please try it on 10.5 and see how it ...

  1. [9fans] 9vx os x

    I have not bothered to create a new package,
    but there is a new binary available for OS X:

    hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
    gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
    chmod +x 9vx.OSX
    ./9vx.OSX -r your-root

    Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

    Sources are not packaged up until things
    are stable for a little while, but they are in
    the Mercurial repository at

    hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32

    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    This one seems to work fine for me.
    (10.5.3).

    On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    > I have not bothered to create a new package,
    > but there is a new binary available for OS X:
    >
    > hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
    > gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
    > chmod +x 9vx.OSX
    > ./9vx.OSX -r your-root
    >
    > Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
    >
    > Sources are not packaged up until things
    > are stable for a little while, but they are in
    > the Mercurial repository at
    >
    > hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
    >
    > Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    > Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

    Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
    in addition to doing its button2 duty. Also, you can't use
    option+apple key to escape out of full screen mode. This is
    on 10.5.3

  4. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    >> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
    >
    > Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
    > in addition to doing its button2 duty.

    Fixed.

    > Also, you can't use option+apple key to escape out of full
    > screen mode. This is on 10.5.3

    That's because it was Ctl-Opt, not Opt-Apple.
    But I got rid of that too. Just use Apple-F, the
    same key that gets you in. The Ctl-Opt thing
    was a kludge from the start.

    Russ

  5. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:16:10 EDT "Russ Cox" wrote:
    > > Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
    > > in addition to doing its button2 duty.

    > Fixed.

    Yup. Just tested it.

    Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
    resizing the window can make it crash with a
    9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
    But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
    Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
    render the window completely black.

    The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
    - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
    - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol
    - The window geometry is different.
    - it has to be explicitly put in background.

    A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
    of the 9vx window.

    When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

    A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
    two instances can't open the same port. But at least on
    FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
    full complement of ports.

    But this is good stuff! Thank you!

  6. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    This new release works. Thanks! Now to take my fossil/venti off QEMU
    and onto OS X.

    On Jun 29, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

    > I have not bothered to create a new package,
    > but there is a new binary available for OS X:
    >
    > hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
    > gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
    > chmod +x 9vx.OSX
    > ./9vx.OSX -r your-root
    >
    > Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
    >
    > Sources are not packaged up until things
    > are stable for a little while, but they are in
    > the Mercurial repository at
    >
    > hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
    >
    > Russ

  7. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    this is great!

    > Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

    I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.

    two minor UI nits:

    - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
    the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).

    - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
    the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
    than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
    did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though

    sidenote: I find it fascinating to see how the plan 9 gui responds
    to resizing the window.

    Axel.

  8. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    Time to throw away parallels and vmware

    thanks a lot, once more.

    On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Axel Belinfante
    wrote:
    > this is great!
    >
    >> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

    > I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
    >
    > two minor UI nits:
    >
    > - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
    > the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).
    >
    > - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
    > the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
    > than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
    > did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though
    >
    > sidenote: I find it fascinating to see how the plan 9 gui responds
    > to resizing the window.
    >

    > Axel.

  9. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
    other files are copied successfully before this:

    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
    '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
    '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
    '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
    '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
    files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:

    term% src echo
    src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

    --
    Tom Lieber
    http://AllTom.com/

  10. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    > Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
    > other files are copied successfully before this:
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    Try:
    mkdir -p /sys/src/games/mp3dec
    and the pull again

    > Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
    > files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:
    >
    > term% src echo
    > src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

    #Z is the root of the host system. #Zplan9 is 9vx's root

    It seems anything that assume Dir.type == 'M' is broken. This
    includes file(1) which is used by src(1), and also diff(1). Probably
    others.

    fhs

  11. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    > I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
    >
    > two minor UI nits:
    >
    > - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
    > the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).

    It tries. Feel free to have a look at the code.

    > - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
    > the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
    > than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
    > did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though

    Should be more or less the same. Again not
    sure what's going on.

    Russ

  12. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    > Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
    > other files are copied successfully before this:
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
    >
    > error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
    > '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

    > Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
    > files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:
    >
    > term% src echo
    > src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

    There are just a few programs that assume the only "normal" files
    come from the mount device (#M). I have patched my local
    version of file(1) to allow #Z along with #M. That seems to fix
    most of them.

    Russ

  13. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    On my 10.5 system, resizing the window causes the screen to get...
    wrong. The error makes it look like the lines aren't aligned; things
    come out slanted at about right of 10° vertical. If rio's running,
    windows sometimes have the left edge cropped to vertical and the
    left edge isn't updated with the rest of the window. The keyboard
    and rio menus still work, although the fact that the left edge isn't
    getting updated makes that hard to see at times.

    Resizing to the original size either fixes the problem or yields:
    9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu1
    (have also seen cpu4).

    This doesn't happen with the X11 version, but does with the first
    native OS X GUI code in 0.11 forward. In case it makes a difference,
    this system has multiple displays.
    Anthony

  14. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    The scroll wheel just works under the native OS-X Acme SAC. I will try
    to figure out why.

    --underspecified

    On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
    >> I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
    >>
    >> two minor UI nits:
    >>
    >> - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
    >> the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).

    > It tries. Feel free to have a look at the code.
    >
    >> - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
    >> the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
    >> than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
    >> did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though

    > Should be more or less the same. Again not
    > sure what's going on.
    >
    > Russ

  15. Re: [9fans] 9vx os x

    My caps lock problem is gone with this! Thanks Russ (nevermind my other
    message regarding it still starting in X11... I'm extra-scatterbrained
    today)
    Dave

    On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Russ Cox wrote:

    > I have not bothered to create a new package,
    > but there is a new binary available for OS X:
    >
    > hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
    > gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
    > chmod +x 9vx.OSX
    > ./9vx.OSX -r your-root
    >
    > Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
    >
    > Sources are not packaged up until things
    > are stable for a little while, but they are in
    > the Mercurial repository at
    >
    > hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
    >
    > Russ

+ Reply to Thread