[9fans] 9vx native OS X gui - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui - Plan9 ; The 9vx 0.11 source code includes OS X gui code, a severely cleaned-up version of the drawterm code. It is not built by default, but you can build it by using make 9vx/9vx PLAN9GUI=osx Unfortunately, it seems to have one ...

  1. [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    The 9vx 0.11 source code includes OS X gui code,
    a severely cleaned-up version of the drawterm code.

    It is not built by default, but you can build it by using

    make 9vx/9vx PLAN9GUI=osx

    Unfortunately, it seems to have one problem: the
    Carbon app event loop appears to install its own
    handler for EXC_BAD_ACCESS, the Mach equivalent
    of SIGBUS/SIGSEGV. When it gets that exception,
    it passes it along, but first it pops up an annoying
    "The application 9vx quit unexpectedly" dialog.
    Even if you turn the popup off (with TinkerTool),
    the handler must record that things are broken,
    and the cursor turns into a pinwheel forever:
    Carbon/Quartz/whatever-it's-called-today can't
    fathom the idea that an EXC_BAD_ACCESS came in
    and the app actually survived it.

    I assume the fix would be to install an EXC_BAD_ACCESS
    handler after kicking off the app event loop. That would
    make sure that Carbon never saw it.
    But I don't know how to do that.

    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    > Unfortunately, it seems to have one problem: the
    > Carbon app event loop appears to install its own
    > handler for EXC_BAD_ACCESS, the Mach equivalent

    It looks like this might be fixed in 10.5, according to

    http://developer.apple.com/technotes...SECLIMITATIONS

    Of course, if you get past that, you'll have to debug my
    cleanup of the gui code.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    Running the new native 9vx (which I was almost done doing myself, had
    it not been for that missing file):

    The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
    functionality safely. You MUST exec().
    Break on
    __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_C OREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
    () to debug.

    repeated 158 (!) times, followed by the first line and then an abort
    before the second line is printed. :-(

  4. Re: [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    Russ,

    Great work with 9vx. I haven't played around with it too much, but I
    did successfully build your native gui code cleanup.
    When I start 9vx, I get the following messages dumped to terminal
    repeatedly and the app hangs:

    cpu10: runproc spurious wakeup
    idlehands spurious wakeup

    Perhaps this has something to do with the OS-X cpu bug mentioned
    earlier in the thread?

    --underspecified

    On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, it seems to have one problem: the
    >> Carbon app event loop appears to install its own
    >> handler for EXC_BAD_ACCESS, the Mach equivalent

    > It looks like this might be fixed in 10.5, according to
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/technotes...SECLIMITATIONS
    >
    > Of course, if you get past that, you'll have to debug my
    > cleanup of the gui code.
    >
    > Russ

  5. Re: [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    Hi,

    First off, 9vx is incredible! Thanks Russ and Bryan

    > When I start 9vx, I get the following messages dumped to terminal
    > repeatedly and the app hangs:
    >
    > cpu10: runproc spurious wakeup
    > idlehands spurious wakeup

    I got the new 0.11 source to build, but run into a similar error:
    cpu3: runproc spurious wakeup

    On 28-Jun-08, at 1:08 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Running the new native 9vx (which I was almost done doing myself,
    > had it not been for that missing file):
    >
    > The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
    > functionality safely. You MUST exec().
    > Break on
    > __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_C OREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
    > () to debug.

    Running 9vx with the -F flag makes that error go away (tried on 10.5.3)

    Regards,
    Anant

  6. Re: [9fans] 9vx native OS X gui

    On Jun 28, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Anant Narayanan wrote:
    > Running 9vx with the -F flag makes that error go away (tried on
    > 10.5.3)

    That helped, but I get the spurious error.

+ Reply to Thread