[9fans] /n - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] /n - Plan9 ; why do files in /n exist on the distributed image? when would they be necessary? - erik...

  1. [9fans] /n

    why do files in /n exist on the distributed image?
    when would they be necessary?

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] /n

    > why do files in /n exist on the distributed image?
    > when would they be necessary?

    mntgen appeared on the scene relatively late.
    there was a time when you just ran mkdir a lot in /n.
    looking through the archives, it looks like nemo
    came up with the idea as "autodirfs" in 2002.

    before i poked through the archives, i would have
    credited dan cross with the idea. is dan still on this list?

    russ

  3. Re: [9fans] /n

    > mntgen appeared on the scene relatively late.
    > there was a time when you just ran mkdir a lot in /n.
    > looking through the archives, it looks like nemo
    > came up with the idea as "autodirfs" in 2002.
    >
    > before i poked through the archives, i would have
    > credited dan cross with the idea. is dan still on this list?
    >
    > russ

    many thanks for the historical perspective.
    mntgen is an excellent bit of polish.

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] /n

    where is dan? he's a fine man.

    brucee

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    >> why do files in /n exist on the distributed image?
    >> when would they be necessary?

    > mntgen appeared on the scene relatively late.
    > there was a time when you just ran mkdir a lot in /n.
    > looking through the archives, it looks like nemo
    > came up with the idea as "autodirfs" in 2002.
    >
    > before i poked through the archives, i would have
    > credited dan cross with the idea. is dan still on this list?
    >
    > russ

  5. Re: [9fans] /n

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
    > mntgen appeared on the scene relatively late.
    > there was a time when you just ran mkdir a lot in /n.
    > looking through the archives, it looks like nemo
    > came up with the idea as "autodirfs" in 2002.

    pardon me for the correction, but i believe the original
    idea (and implementation, under inferno) was mine.

    http://9fans.net/archive/2002/07/327

    rog.

  6. Re: [9fans] /n

    > pardon me for the correction, but i believe the original
    > idea (and implementation, under inferno) was mine.
    >
    > http://9fans.net/archive/2002/07/327

    i stand corrected. (and we'd already established my
    memory of the event was faulty. ☺)

  7. Re: [9fans] /n

    On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    > before i poked through the archives, i would have
    > credited dan cross with the idea. is dan still on this list?

    Dan is still on the list, but has been kept very, very busy by the US
    Marine Corps lately. Semper Fidelis (Plan 9),

    - Dan C.

+ Reply to Thread