[9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions - Plan9 ; Is anyone running venti with raw disk partitions on Unix? I've got a nice large disk to dedicate to it, and would like to do it without needlessly imposing another fs, if possible, but am running into problems. The blocker ...

  1. [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    Is anyone running venti with raw disk partitions on Unix? I've got a
    nice large disk to dedicate to it, and would like to do it without
    needlessly imposing another fs, if possible, but am running into
    problems. The blocker now is fmtarenas is complaining that it
    "can't determine size of partition" for raw disk partitions.
    Anthony

  2. Re: [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    > Is anyone running venti with raw disk partitions on Unix? I've got a
    > nice large disk to dedicate to it, and would like to do it without
    > needlessly imposing another fs, if possible, but am running into
    > problems. The blocker now is fmtarenas is complaining that it
    > "can't determine size of partition" for raw disk partitions.

    I've used raw disk partitions on FreeBSD recently,
    and raw disk partitions on Linux a while back.
    What OS are you running, and what does

    9 ls -l /dev/your-disk

    print? Assuming it prints a size of 0, you need to figure
    out how to get the real disk size out of the kernel.
    See /usr/local/plan9/src/lib9/_p9dir.c.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    OS X. And yes, 9's ls reports size zero (as opposed to
    OSX's ls "size" of "14, 12"). I'll spend a little time on
    it this morning and see what i get. OS X's stat(1) can
    get the info, so the hardest part might just be
    figuring out which "project" Apple put the source for
    stat in.
    Anthony

  4. Re: [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    On Jun 24, 2008, at 8:16 AM, a@9srv.net wrote:

    > OS X. And yes, 9's ls reports size zero (as opposed to
    > OSX's ls "size" of "14, 12"). I'll spend a little time on

    These "sizes" are the major and minor device numbers.

    > it this morning and see what i get. OS X's stat(1) can
    > get the info, so the hardest part might just be
    > figuring out which "project" Apple put the source for
    > stat in.
    > Anthony

    $ stat /dev/disk0
    46138868 46908804 brw-r----- 1 root operator 234881024 0 "Jun 21
    19:55:38 2008" "Jun 21 19:55:38 2008" "Jun 21 19:55:38 2008" "Jun 21
    19:55:38 2008" 2048 0 0 /dev/disk0
    $ stat -l /dev/disk0
    brw-r----- 1 root operator 14,0 Jun 21 19:55:38 2008 /dev/disk0
    $ stat -f '%z' /dev/disk0
    0

    So oh well.

    Using Apple's diskutil seems to work:

    $ diskutil info /dev/disk0
    #...
    Total Size: 232.9 Gi (250059350016 B) (488397168 512-
    byte blocks)
    Free Space: 0.0 B (0 B) (0 512-byte blocks)
    # ...

  5. Re: [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    I wasn't able to get this working today, but I believe I made good
    progress. Unfortunately, I'm traveling all day tomorrow and will
    have questionable network access while away for about a week.

    I've attached my version of _p9dir.c with the OS X code in it. The
    addition is pretty simple, and I tested a dummy program with
    nearly the same code and it prints the real size in bytes, but
    something isn't right. I rebuilt and installed lib9 and ls, but ls
    still doesn't show anything useful. It may just be that I have to
    rebuild something more than I have. Forwarded in the hope that
    someone who's looked at p9p's guts more than I can tell me
    what that might be.
    Anthony

  6. Re: [9fans] p9p venti w/ raw partitions

    > something isn't right. I rebuilt and installed lib9 and ls, but ls
    > still doesn't show anything useful. It may just be that I have to

    My first guess would be that when you "installed" ls again,
    there was already an o.ls in plan9/src/cmd, so it didn't
    get relinked. It should suffice to do

    cd $PLAN9/src/lib9
    mk _p9dir
    cd ../cmd