[9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux - Plan9 ; On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Russ Cox wrote: >> Also, I've sent you a couple of emails off-list recently about a bug >> in 9p(1). I can't think of anything I might have done to offend you, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: [9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux

    On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
    >> Also, I've sent you a couple of emails off-list recently about a bug
    >> in 9p(1). I can't think of anything I might have done to offend you,
    >> so I'm assuming they've been marked as spam or otherwise waylaid -
    >> should I just post the patch to 9fans?
    >> If you did get the patch and have just been thinking about it, then
    >> my apologies for being impatient. That scenario just seems
    >> increasingly unlikely

    > Done.
    >
    > The patch you sent had to do with Unix signals,
    > so I had been putting off having to think about it.

    Hah, fair enough! Thanks, but I shouldn't have rushed you - the
    modified patch doesn't work. writen() never returns anything less than
    0. I don't really follow its purpose either - at first I thought it
    was there to account for an interrupted syscall, but the
    implementation differs from what I would expect for that.
    -sqweek

  2. Re: [9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux

    On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
    > It'd be nice to have something which supported the virtio transport
    >
    > It would be nice if 9mount and/or 9bind could do an unshare to create
    > a new namespace,
    >
    > Some support for the loose cache would be nice, and I don't see any
    > way of setting larger (or smaller) msize.
    >
    > Options reflecting Lucho's access option should also be incorporated
    > to give users some flexibility there.
    >
    > rename the executable to match the mount helper format (mount.9p)
    > and install it in /sbin.

    I need to familiarise myself with these options and the mount helper
    framework before I can sensibly support them. Is there any relevant
    documentation I should be aware of aside from
    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/9p.txt?
    Won't happen immediately though, this weekend is free TF2 weekend and
    wine 1.0 was just released
    -sqweek

  3. Re: [9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux

    On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:37 AM, sqweek wrote:

    > I need to familiarise myself with these options and the mount helper
    > framework before I can sensibly support them. Is there any relevant
    > documentation I should be aware of aside from
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/9p.txt?
    > Won't happen immediately though, this weekend is free TF2 weekend and
    > wine 1.0 was just released

    9p.txt is the most complete (which perhaps isn't saying much).
    Questions (and patches to the documentation) welcome.

    -eric

  4. Re: [9fans] P9p's mount(1) on linux

    On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:

    > Lucho had a mount helper at one time that was able to use p9p to
    > authenticate when necessary -- this would be a nice feature to include
    > in the mount helper but is difficult to include without p9p as a
    > dependency.
    >
    > It would be nice if 9mount and/or 9bind could do an unshare to create
    > a new namespace, but given the current Linux semantics, I'm not sure
    > you can get the right behavior (ie. 9mount will have its own name
    > space, but then the mount won't be visible in the shell which called
    > it).

    yes, the way we fixed this on 2.6.24 and clusters was that the mount
    helper actually forked a shell for you as well. So you specified your
    entire name space, the mount helper forked with NEWNS, and at the end
    it dropped you into a shell. Not really very intuitive, but it worked
    really well.

    thanks

    ron

+ Reply to Thread