[9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p - Plan9 ; > if you view the date that way, as an integral part > of the delivered message, it would sure be strange > if saving the message to a different folder altered > the delivery date. receiving a message and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > if you view the date that way, as an integral part
    > of the delivered message, it would sure be strange
    > if saving the message to a different folder altered
    > the delivery date. receiving a message and filing
    > a message are two very different things.
    >
    >> so copying a message
    >> really copies the rfc/822 part. the from line is an awkward appendage.
    >> it is strange to carry it forward in the special case of copying a mail
    >> from one box to another.

    > the rfc822 part is the awkward appendage.
    > mail used to be simple.

    a compelling argument. i agree.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > If, the reply was inlined. Anyone wanting to use the original can go use raw.
    > But the nice thing is that you can edit text, copy attachments in/out,
    > remove them, etc. etc.

    this is already possible with upas/fs, isn't it? also, i get the benefit
    of not being tied into message formats. for example, i can use imap.

    in addition, doesn't storing mail your way increase the storage requirements?
    also, what do you do about header parsing without upas/fs's help?

    (storing small mailboxes as a mdir even consumes more resources than
    a mbox. unfortunately, i have to account for massive mail boxes.)

    > Compatibility in my case is achieved by leaving upas et al. as they
    > are; I convert
    > just my mail once it entered the system.

    mboxes are the single biggest resource pig we have. we comfortably
    did development on a single pIII fs with a single ide disk and 256mb
    of memory before email was treated as the great repository of all
    human knowledge.

    so my primary goal is to have mail use as few resources as
    reasonablly possible.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > > But the nice thing is that you can edit text, copy attachments in/out,
    > > remove them, etc. etc.

    > this is already possible with upas/fs, isn't it? also, i get the benefit
    > of not being tied into message formats. for example, i can use imap.

    Nope. If you try to remove an attach you remove the mail.
    What I like of your way is that making upas/fs understand this mbox format makes
    all other tools available.

    > in addition, doesn't storing mail your way increase the storage requirements?

    No. Same file sent multiple times with different mails (which I do get a lot) only
    consumes a single place on venti.

    > also, what do you do about header parsing without upas/fs's help?

    I run upas/fs on the raw file (e.g., in the Send script that sends this reply)

    > (storing small mailboxes as a mdir even consumes more resources than
    > a mbox. unfortunately, i have to account for massive mail boxes.)

    (are there small mboxes anymore?

    I know, but it's so covenient to do a "looktags msgs quanstro mbox" and get the
    paths/lines for messages relevant; etc.

  4. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    Sorry. I mean, "*Yes*, but ...".
    I mean, you are right (unless you remove the raw files for non-spam mails
    after some time; which I do not).

    > > in addition, doesn't storing mail your way increase the storage requirements?

    > No. Same file sent multiple times with different mails (which I do get a lot) only
    > consumes a single place on venti.

  5. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > (are there small mboxes anymore?

    du -a /mail/box/quanstro/mbox
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1212376173.00
    2 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1212378184.00
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1213282217.00
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1193334801.00
    2 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1211556429.00
    1 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1193342921.00
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1206119475.00
    3 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1186367197.00
    7 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1185927350.00
    3 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1212677409.00
    2 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1193340043.00
    5 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1197914075.00
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1166486503.00
    2 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1168364456.00
    1 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1212437662.00
    5 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1204383150.00
    5 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1192018998.00
    35 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1170245420.00
    2 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1170245727.00
    4 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1187814435.00
    1 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1198083270.00
    6 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox/1176757449.00
    106 /mail/box/quanstro/mbox

    > I know, but it's so covenient to do a "looktags msgs quanstro mbox" and get the
    > paths/lines for messages relevant; etc.

    why not:

    bind /bin/nupas /bin/upas

    grep -l nemo /mail/fs/mbox/*/from |
    awk -F/ '{print $(NF-1) "p id subject" }' |
    upas/nedmail -n>[2=]
    22 Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p
    or
    grep -l nemo /mail/fs/mbox/*/from
    ? (actual tagging is yet to come.)

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > In any way, I'd still be converting my mail to the new format, because
    > of the convenience of having everything unpacked and ready to read,
    > and because of the space it's likely to be saving in venti.

    It is unavoidable that once you have a permanent filesystem for mail
    you'll also need the ability to present its index by different,
    arbitrary sorting criteria. I haven't really found the magic bullet
    for that, but I suggest we don't forget to look for it.

    ++L

  7. Re: [9fans] store 9p session-only values using lib9p

    > Why don't we reach an agreement and start using the very
    > same format. I suggest keeping my mbox format but adapting upas/fs to
    > understand it, which is a good idea. But I'm open to suggestions.

    .... and use base64 encoding of attachment names so they can be
    displayed correctly (by a clever function) and yet not interfere with
    the directory structure.

    Count me in, I'm extremely interesting in giving Plan 9 the hottest
    mail handling on the planet. I'll deal with the privacy encoding and
    decoding, specially if others keep me on track.

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2