[9fans] v9fs & virtio - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] v9fs & virtio - Plan9 ; Hi, The v9fs docs mention that it can use virtio as a transport. How does one get a 9P server running in such a way that it can be connected to via virtio? Thanks, --vs...

  1. [9fans] v9fs & virtio

    Hi,

    The v9fs docs mention that it can use virtio as a transport. How does
    one get a 9P server running in such a way that it can be connected to
    via virtio?

    Thanks,
    --vs

  2. Re: [9fans] v9fs & virtio

    On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Venkatesh Srinivas wrote:

    > The v9fs docs mention that it can use virtio as a transport. How does
    > one get a 9P server running in such a way that it can be connected to
    > via virtio?

    Writing the presentation on this for KVM Forum right now.

    There are two current variants -- a gateway server which is integrated
    into lguest (patches have been posted to the lguest mailing list, but
    I can put it someplace else if folks are interested) -- then you
    essentially start lguest and feed it an argument specifying where you
    server lives (-9p 10.0.0.1:567).

    The KVM variant was done by Anthony Ligouri, and it has a server
    integrated into qemu. The patched kvm-qemu requires a "-shared
    " name to start the server.

    In both cases, you just mount -t 9p nodev /mnt -o trans=virtio

    Its stable, but preliminary at this point. The main problem being
    neither implementation is anywhere near optimal.

    Lucho had an older version of a kvm which had an integrated spfs-based
    server, but I'm not sure he's ported that forward.

    I don't believe there's any support in Plan 9 at the moment for the 9p
    virtio channel, but it shouldn't take someone that much to add it.

    I'll try putting up something with a bit more more information and the
    associated patches on my kernel.org web page.

    -eric

+ Reply to Thread