[9fans] Second, third edition manuals - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Second, third edition manuals - Plan9 ; Hello. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the second or third edition programmer's manuals? I found the first edition on uriel's docs site. Thanks....

  1. [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    Hello. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the second or third
    edition programmer's manuals? I found the first edition on uriel's
    docs site. Thanks.

  2. Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    Did you? I didn't know I had them... all I got from First Edition(
    http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/1st_edition/ ) are the Help, CDA and a
    general paper about the future of Plan 9 (which covers stuff included
    in papers that have been available in later editions).

    For Second Edition ( http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/ ) I
    included all papers, mostly for historical interest in case anyone
    wants to compare them with any changes that have been made to the same
    papers as included this days (exceptions are the Alef, the panel lib
    and the raster graphics papers which have been dropped from subsequent
    editions).

    Third edition as far as I know is basically identical to the current
    set of papers in Fourth Edition so I didn't think it was worth the
    trouble (and confusion) of including yet another copy of the same
    stuff.

    If anyone has any papers that are not included in any of the existing
    collections I would love to get a copy.

    uriel

    On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Hello. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the second or third edition
    > programmer's manuals? I found the first edition on uriel's docs site.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    Sorry, I meant the man pages themselves.

    On Jun 8, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Uriel wrote:

    > Did you? I didn't know I had them... all I got from First Edition(
    > http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/1st_edition/ ) are the Help, CDA and a
    > general paper about the future of Plan 9 (which covers stuff included
    > in papers that have been available in later editions).
    >
    > For Second Edition ( http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/ ) I
    > included all papers, mostly for historical interest in case anyone
    > wants to compare them with any changes that have been made to the same
    > papers as included this days (exceptions are the Alef, the panel lib
    > and the raster graphics papers which have been dropped from subsequent
    > editions).
    >
    > Third edition as far as I know is basically identical to the current
    > set of papers in Fourth Edition so I didn't think it was worth the
    > trouble (and confusion) of including yet another copy of the same
    > stuff.
    >
    > If anyone has any papers that are not included in any of the existing
    > collections I would love to get a copy.
    >
    > uriel
    >
    > On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Pietro Gagliardi
    > wrote:
    >> Hello. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the second or third
    >> edition
    >> programmer's manuals? I found the first edition on uriel's docs site.
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    My memory is that the manuals and papers where missed off the first edition CDROM and so where
    published as postscript on the net (sorry if I am wrong, my memory is rusty here).

    The first edition documents at still on the toronto archive:
    http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/

    Bottom of the page, together with some other bits and pieces for history buffs.

    For the seccond edition there is always the wayback machine...

    http://web.archive.org/web/199704022...lan9/vol1.html

    -Steve

  5. Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    On Jun 9, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Steve Simon wrote:

    > For the seccond edition there is always the wayback machine...
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/199704022...lan9/vol1.html

    Storage of dynamic content (man2html) on the Wayback Machine is very
    poor, but I did find the third edition volume 1 PDF, but for some
    reason it only lets me download the first megabyte, which is not
    enough (it sends wget into an infinite loop and causes hget to report
    "page change underfoot" and abort). I don't know if a PDF of the
    second edition was made, and I don't think using man2html will work.

  6. Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals

    Scratch that: I found a more complete one here:

    http://web.archive.org/web/200106050...s/man/vol1.pdf

    I still reported this technicality/bug, since other people seem to
    have it.

    On Jun 9, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > On Jun 9, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Steve Simon wrote:
    >
    >> For the seccond edition there is always the wayback machine...
    >>
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/199704022...lan9/vol1.html
    >>

    > Storage of dynamic content (man2html) on the Wayback Machine is very
    > poor, but I did find the third edition volume 1 PDF, but for some
    > reason it only lets me download the first megabyte, which is not
    > enough (it sends wget into an infinite loop and causes hget to
    > report "page change underfoot" and abort). I don't know if a PDF of
    > the second edition was made, and I don't think using man2html will
    > work.

+ Reply to Thread