[9fans] Laptop advice - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Laptop advice - Plan9 ; >> 3 buttons and a nipple not a touchpad >> >> no Windows key >> > > These are concrete assets. I know, that's why I reported them. Chording with a touchpad is something you could show at a circus. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: [9fans] Laptop advice

    >> 3 buttons and a nipple not a touchpad
    >>
    >> no Windows key
    >>

    > These are concrete assets.

    I know, that's why I reported them. Chording with a touchpad is
    something you could show at a circus.

    I'm running low on three button mouses too

  2. Re: [9fans] Laptop advice

    > Anyway - I found an old Thinkpad 600 in my junk box. Anyone know
    > if that would make a useable Plan9 machine?

    Should work fine, I have ran Plan 9 on 600E and 600X for years... they
    can still build a kernel in under a minute if my memory doesn't fail
    me (certainly not much more).

    uriel

  3. Re: [9fans] Laptop advice

    On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Digby Tarvin wrote:
    > I don't think the virtual to physical mapping provides as much
    > insight into memory usage as you might think...
    >
    > My understanding of the way it works in Linux (in the default
    > Intel configuration) is that the 4GB virtual address space is split
    > into 2 areas, the upper 1GB being a direct mapping to the first
    > GB of physical memory, minus a small range of virtual address used
    > as a window to access any physical memory in excess of 1GB (hence
    > the distinction between high and low memory in the kernel).
    >
    > The lower 3GB of virtual address space is available for the currently
    > running process, and is configured according to /proc//maps
    >
    > Working out how your physical memory is currently being used seems
    > to involve quite a few kernel data structures. I don't know of any
    > utility that collates it all into anything other than general
    > statistics. It would be an interesting thing to look at if anyone
    > knows of one.
    >
    > Regards,
    > DigbyT

    >> > last week i added 1gb RAM to my previously 512mbyte lenovo (3000 N100) to stop
    >> > the linux system from thrashing. all i run directly is firefox and drawterm.
    >> > the system was fine at 512mbyte until a few weeks ago (when more updates
    >> > arrived).
    >> >
    >> > i could probably have got by with `only' 256mbyte or 512mbyte more but the
    >> > bigger memory card was hardly more expensive.

    >> Since we're on the subject of memory hogs: does anybody know a way for
    >> querying Linux or Solaris (or any OS for that matter) of what the
    >> *physical* pages correspond to and how many virtual pages (and in which
    >> processes) they map into. The only utility that comes close is memstat:
    >> http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html...1/memstat.1.gz
    >> but I don't quite believe its output, since it relies on the second
    >> hand information available from /proc/*/map and a really awkward mapping
    >> process.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Roman.

    > --
    > Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt(at)digbyt.com
    > http://www.digbyt.com

    The memory/page map only indicates utilization, not by whom. To
    determine physical page use one would have to traverse the list of
    processes and grovel through each of their virtual area maps to find
    the physical mappings - then add the kernel references, which involves
    another pile of structures in three regions.
    But we digress.

  4. Re: [9fans] Laptop advice

    I have an LG A1 "Dual Express" notebook that I bought here in Riyadh a
    few months ago.
    It also has a PRPD (pseudorandom pointing device) and it has nearly
    driven me to the point of spazzing out on several occasions. Other
    than that it is a great litte laptop. Since it has an external USB
    device I have not loaded plan9 on bare metal, I run it on VMWare
    workstation 6.

    Which brings me to a question:
    Does anyone have trouble booting new installations of plan9 on
    vmware6? I turn off hwaccel, load the os, and after the install
    completes and the system reboots it just hangs. I am still using
    systems built on Mahmoud's vmware image (for which I am indeed
    grateful).

    I would very much like to do clean installs on vmware, especially
    since I am evangelizing plan9 as much as possible here in Saudi and
    using it to teach my trainees about operating systems.

    John

    On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:01 AM, wrote:
    >> 3 buttons and a nipple not a touchpad
    >>
    >> no Windows key

    > These are concrete assets. I know at least one other laptop user (I
    > have an old Compac Presario 900, he has a newer Acer or some such)
    > that manages to trigger the touchpad without touching it. Very, very
    > annoying. As for the Windows key, on the limited keyboard real estate
    > of a laptop, it is a serious waste.
    >
    > ++L

  5. Re: [9fans] Laptop advice

    > Does anyone have trouble booting new installations of plan9 on
    > vmware6? I turn off hwaccel, load the os, and after the install
    > completes and the system reboots it just hangs. I am still using
    > systems built on Mahmoud's vmware image (for which I am indeed
    > grateful).

    Delete the CD drive from the configuration.
    Plan 9 and VMware disagree on how an empty
    CD drive should behave.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2