Vita Nuova product design - Plan9

This is a discussion on Vita Nuova product design - Plan9 ; It would be very interesting to read the story about who designed boxes and book covers for Vita Nuova. The Plan 9 related products are visually appealing and have some interesting cultural connotations. I am asking this here since who ...

  1. Vita Nuova product design

    It would be very interesting to read the story about who designed
    boxes and book covers for Vita Nuova. The Plan 9 related products are
    visually appealing and have some interesting cultural connotations. I
    am asking this here since who else can answer better then people who
    involved and read this list and may know? Thank you.

  2. Re: [9fans] Vita Nuova product design

    > It would be very interesting to read the story about who designed
    > boxes and book covers for Vita Nuova.

    Vita Nuova had a graphics artist, Jeff Parker, do that design early in 2000. that was years ago
    now so i don't remember the details of the brief, but evidently the design was suggested by
    the notion of space invasion from Plan 9 from Outer Space although the design
    owes nothing more to the film. it was intended to be distinctive but fun compared to
    the usual corporate programming manual style.

    the artwork was completed some time before we knew about Renée French's `Glenda'
    being the official Plan 9 mascot.

    there was a completely different design for the earlier Second Edition Plan 9 set published
    by Harcourt-Brace for Bell Labs. its amusing and elegant cover design was
    by Gerard Holzmann (cf. pico and ``The Digital Darkroom'').

+ Reply to Thread