[9fans] a few (n)venti questions - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] a few (n)venti questions - Plan9 ; Hi! Since the installation CD has an issue with venti (or at least had a few days ago), I finally installed my CPU server without venti, with the plan of creating and adding venti later. I am at the point ...

  1. [9fans] a few (n)venti questions

    Hi!
    Since the installation CD has an issue with venti (or at least had a few days ago), I finally installed my CPU
    server without venti, with the plan of creating and adding venti later.
    I am at the point of starting to format my venti partitions, but I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to:
    I think I've got the arenas and datalog figured out, i will definitely need those, my question come to this new bloom filter. I was wondering how much of a difference it made for let's say a 20-30 gig datalog. I only have 256MB of ram, so the issue is also: is it really worth it to give up 40-80MBs of ram (I haven't done the maths on it yet).
    Thanks!
    Cheers!

  2. Re: [9fans] a few (n)venti questions

    > Since the installation CD has an issue with venti (or at least
    > had a few days ago), I finally installed my CPU server without
    > venti, with the plan of creating and adding venti later. I am
    > at the point of starting to format my venti partitions, but I
    > have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to: I think
    > I've got the arenas and datalog figured out, i will definitely
    > need those, my question come to this new bloom filter. I was
    > wondering how much of a difference it made for let's say a 20-30
    > gig datalog. I only have 256MB of ram, so the issue is also:
    > is it really worth it to give up 40-80MBs of ram (I haven't done
    > the maths on it yet).

    It's worth having a small one -- say 32MB -- just to make
    the initial usage faster. It helps a lot with fresh writes
    at the beginning. Once you've been using it for a while,
    you might find that it's worth turning off, but it's easy to
    just remove from the config (just don't put it back).

    Only power-of-two sizes are used -- 32MB, 64MB, etc.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread