[9fans] bind and namespace - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] bind and namespace - Plan9 ; Hi all, can somebody help me to understand to bind and namespace ? I made dir for manual pages in my $home and I wanted to bind it to /sys/man . I typed: 1. term% bind -a $home/man/4 /sys/man/4 2. ...

  1. [9fans] bind and namespace

    Hi all,

    can somebody help me to understand to bind and namespace ?
    I made dir for manual pages in my $home and I wanted to bind it to /sys/man .
    I typed:

    1. term% bind -a $home/man/4 /sys/man/4
    2. term% ns
    3. bind /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4
    4. bind -a /usr/antonin/man/4 /sys/man/4
    5. term% unmount /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4
    6. term% ns
    7. bind /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4

    a) I don't understand why is in my namespace added 3-th line?
    b) if I unmounted /sys/man/4 on 5-th line, why is unmounted my
    $home/man/4 instead and /sys/man/4 resides?

    Antonin

  2. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    When you do a bind -a or a bind -b you have a union mount. That means
    means "add something to what there already is there", be it before or
    after. You need an entry
    for what there is already there so it gets resolved. That are the
    extra lines you are looking at.

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  3. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    On 9/26/07, Gorka Guardiola wrote:
    > When you do a bind -a or a bind -b you have a union mount. That means
    > means "add something to what there already is there", be it before or
    > after. You need an entry

    Till now it's clear.

    > for what there is already there so it gets resolved. That are the
    > extra lines you are looking at.

    ....sorry, i don't understand. :-(

    Why 1 bind command adds 2! lines with bind command to my namespace?
    Why is added "bind /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4" to namespace?
    Why is one dir mounted to itself?

    Antonin

  4. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    On 9/26/07, Antonin Vecera wrote:
    > Why 1 bind command adds 2! lines with bind command to my namespace?
    > Why is added "bind /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4" to namespace?
    > Why is one dir mounted to itself?

    say you run:

    bind -a /bla /tiki

    This means "add an entry in the table under /tiki after what already exists".
    If this is the first entry you have for /tiki, after doesn´t make
    sense, you need
    something already there. Hence, another entry binding /tiki in /tiki is added
    before yours.

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  5. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    On 9/26/07, Gorka Guardiola wrote:
    > On 9/26/07, Antonin Vecera wrote:
    > > Why 1 bind command adds 2! lines with bind command to my namespace?
    > > Why is added "bind /sys/man/4 /sys/man/4" to namespace?
    > > Why is one dir mounted to itself?
    > >

    > say you run:
    >
    > bind -a /bla /tiki
    >
    > This means "add an entry in the table under /tiki after what already exists".
    > If this is the first entry you have for /tiki, after doesn´t make
    > sense, you need
    > something already there. Hence, another entry binding /tiki in /tiki is added
    > before yours.

    In my home profile is "bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin" .
    Why is not in my namespace line "bind -a /bin /bin" ?
    What is different between
    bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin
    and
    bind -a $home/man/4 /sys/man/4 ?

    Antonin

    Antonin

  6. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    * Antonin Vecera (antonin.vecera@gmail.com) wrote:
    > In my home profile is "bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin" .
    > Why is not in my namespace line "bind -a /bin /bin" ?
    > What is different between
    > bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin
    > and
    > bind -a $home/man/4 /sys/man/4 ?
    >
    > Antonin

    Essentially because before there is something like
    bind $cputype/bin /bin

    That assures that that there already is something $home/bin/rc can be
    unioned to.

    Martin

  7. Re: [9fans] bind and namespace

    Yes. Now it does sense to me.
    Thank you! :-)

    Antonin

    On 9/26/07, Martin Neubauer wrote:
    > * Antonin Vecera (antonin.vecera@gmail.com) wrote:
    > > In my home profile is "bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin" .
    > > Why is not in my namespace line "bind -a /bin /bin" ?
    > > What is different between
    > > bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin
    > > and
    > > bind -a $home/man/4 /sys/man/4 ?
    > >
    > > Antonin

    > Essentially because before there is something like
    > bind $cputype/bin /bin
    >
    > That assures that that there already is something $home/bin/rc can be
    > unioned to.
    >
    > Martin

+ Reply to Thread