[9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb - Plan9 ; To boot THNX when you can't boot USB. 1. Put the hard drive back in your laptop (sorry!) 1a. start it booting from the hard drive 1b. wait for it too boot. 1c. Hang on 1d. not yet. 1e. almost ...

  1. [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb

    To boot THNX when you can't boot USB.
    1. Put the hard drive back in your laptop (sorry!)
    1a. start it booting from the hard drive
    1b. wait for it too boot.
    1c. Hang on
    1d. not yet.
    1e. almost there
    1f. running init scripts
    1g. ...
    1h. You can get lower interest rates now at ...
    1i. OK, log in.
    2. mount the usb stick e.g. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    3. mkdir /boot/thnx
    4. cp /mnt/boot/* /boot/thnx
    5. Add the following line to /boot/grub/menu.lst
    title tiny horrible NOT xen -- sdb1
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/thnx/vmlinuz-2.6.23-rc5 ro root=LABEL=/THNX rhgb vga=ask \
    reserve_vector=64
    init=/bin/bash
    initrd /boot/thnx/initrd-2.6.23-rc5.img

    Reboot and select tiny horrible etc. to boot.

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb

    ron minnich wrote:
    > To boot THNX when you can't boot USB.
    > 1. Put the hard drive back in your laptop (sorry!)
    > 1a. start it booting from the hard drive
    > 1b. wait for it too boot.
    > 1c. Hang on
    > 1d. not yet.
    > 1e. almost there
    > 1f. running init scripts
    > 1g. ...
    > 1h. You can get lower interest rates now at ...
    > 1i. OK, log in.
    > 2. mount the usb stick e.g. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    > 3. mkdir /boot/thnx
    > 4. cp /mnt/boot/* /boot/thnx
    > 5. Add the following line to /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > title tiny horrible NOT xen -- sdb1
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /boot/thnx/vmlinuz-2.6.23-rc5 ro root=LABEL=/THNX rhgb vga=ask \
    > reserve_vector=64
    > init=/bin/bash
    > initrd /boot/thnx/initrd-2.6.23-rc5.img
    >
    > Reboot and select tiny horrible etc. to boot.
    >
    > ron

    So I tried that and was indeed able to boot, but I didn't get any high resolution
    video mode options, just stuff like 80x60. Am I doing something wrong, or
    is it just my bad luck that my video card isn't supported? I've got a GeForce
    FX 5900XT video card.

    John Floren

  3. Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb

    You should get a prompt along the lines of 'hit space for options' or
    some such.

    Get the video prompt, type 318, and tell me how it goes.

    video card support requires VESA mode.

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb

    > You should get a prompt along the lines of 'hit space for options' or
    > some such.
    >
    > Get the video prompt, type 318, and tell me how it goes.
    >
    > video card support requires VESA mode.
    >
    > ron

    Ah, I see. I didn't have faith; I was expecting to get a big list of all
    possible VESA modes. 318 worked okay, but drawterm is less than
    pretty--scrolling down a rc window makes a red mess... hard to
    describe. Anyway, I'll try to find out what the proper VESA mode is
    for my card.
    If I want drivers for my 3c595 ethernet card, looks like I'll have
    to compile stuff for myself?
    Pretty cool setup. Thanks Ron!

    John

  5. Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb

    On 9/23/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

    > If I want drivers for my 3c595 ethernet card, looks like I'll have
    > to compile stuff for myself?

    grab the latest. Also I may rebuild the kernel with all network drivers.

    > Pretty cool setup. Thanks Ron!

    Thanks, corrections/suggestions are always welcome.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread