[9fans] thrashed / - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] thrashed / - Plan9 ; hi! I had a cpu/auth/fs server set up here not too long ago, but, playing around I somehow deleted a lot of important stuff, starting from /bin/*. I'd simply like to recover the damage using the last fossil snap, as ...

  1. [9fans] thrashed /

    hi!

    I had a cpu/auth/fs server set up here not too long ago, but, playing around I somehow deleted a lot of important stuff, starting from /bin/*. I'd simply like to recover the damage using the last fossil snap, as I did fshalt and stopped the machine immediately. My guess is this is possible from the livecd, but I'm not really sure how it's done.
    My setup is fossil+venti, so things shouldn't be that bad.
    Thanks!

    John

  2. Re: [9fans] thrashed /

    I wrote a doc about how to recover from various disc failures:

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...nti-rescue.pdf

    Alternatively you could just do:

    9fs dump
    cp -gux /n/dump/2007/0901/386/bin/* /368/bin

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] thrashed /

    yes, that might be an approach, just use venti...but what I'd like to do is use the last fossil dump.
    my machine is unbootable at the moment, since /bin and some other stuff have been wiped off the harddisk.
    There actually has been no filesystem damage. This can only be the cause of my braindamage.

    What i think i need to do is:
    boot from livecd
    get venti running somehow
    get fossil running with venti somehow
    revert fossil to the last dump
    reboot

    I am trying to find out how to do the venti and fossil steps...
    Of course, if i'm wrong, please enlighten me, as i am still quite ignorant of the inner workings of the system, fossil and venti.

    Thanks, though.

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:11:03 +0100
    "Steve Simon" wrote:

    > I wrote a doc about how to recover from various disc failures:
    >
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...nti-rescue.pdf
    >
    > Alternatively you could just do:
    >
    > 9fs dump
    > cp -gux /n/dump/2007/0901/386/bin/* /368/bin
    >
    > -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] thrashed /

    no promises or guarantees, read the relevant man pages before doing
    this,
    there's probably a mistake in here somewhere

    venti/venti -h tcp!*!8000 -c /dev/sdC0/arenas
    dumpvacroots
    take one of the old venti scores and do
    fossil/flfmt -h $host -v $score /dev/sdC0/fossil

    reboot and pray

    On 21 Sep 2007, at 15:35, John Soros wrote:

    > yes, that might be an approach, just use venti...but what I'd like
    > to do is use the last fossil dump.
    > my machine is unbootable at the moment, since /bin and some other
    > stuff have been wiped off the harddisk.
    > There actually has been no filesystem damage. This can only be the
    > cause of my braindamage.
    >
    > What i think i need to do is:
    > boot from livecd
    > get venti running somehow
    > get fossil running with venti somehow
    > revert fossil to the last dump
    > reboot
    >
    > I am trying to find out how to do the venti and fossil steps...
    > Of course, if i'm wrong, please enlighten me, as i am still quite
    > ignorant of the inner workings of the system, fossil and venti.
    >
    > Thanks, though.
    >

    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:11:03 +0100
    > "Steve Simon" wrote:
    >
    >> I wrote a doc about how to recover from various disc failures:
    >>
    >> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...nti-rescue.pdf
    >>
    >> Alternatively you could just do:
    >>
    >> 9fs dump
    >> cp -gux /n/dump/2007/0901/386/bin/* /368/bin
    >>
    >> -Steve

+ Reply to Thread