[9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com - Plan9 ; is down again iru...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

  1. [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    is down again

    iru

  2. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    I had to reboot sources. It and the web site are back up.


  3. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/20/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    >
    > I had to reboot sources. It and the web site are back up.
    >
    >

    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/venti/venti.html
    Object not found...



    And I just had a really evil idea involving Amazon's S3 storage service...

    Dave


  4. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/20/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > I had to reboot sources. It and the web site are back up.
    >
    >


    still the same. object not found

    --
    iru

  5. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/20/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    >
    > And I just had a really evil idea involving Amazon's S3 storage service...


    I think we may have had the same idea. And I have code, too.

  6. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    It's still up, at least when I try it from home.

    What URL are you trying?


  7. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/20/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > It's still up, at least when I try it from home.
    >
    > What URL are you trying?
    >
    >


    now it's ok. thanks geoff.
    --
    iru

  8. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/20/07, Richard Bilson wrote:
    >
    > On 9/20/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > >
    > > And I just had a really evil idea involving Amazon's S3 storage

    > service...
    >
    > I think we may have had the same idea. And I have code, too.
    >


    Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes?


  9. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    hate to pay that bandwidth bill....

    On 9/21/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    >
    >
    > On 9/20/07, Richard Bilson wrote:
    > > On 9/20/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > > >
    > > > And I just had a really evil idea involving Amazon's S3 storage

    > service...
    > >
    > > I think we may have had the same idea. And I have code, too.
    > >

    >
    > Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes?
    >
    >
    >


  10. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    > Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes?

    You can't just throw a whole arena into an S3 file, since the S3 API
    doesn't support seeking within files.

    On the other hand, an S3 bucket is essentially a big hash table, and
    so is venti. So I opted for the simple approach of storing the blocks
    themselves in S3. Given that, a local index doesn't help much. A local
    bloom filter probably would help, but for now my server is stateless
    (aside from cache).

    Right now the server supports the basic venti api, but it falls over
    if anything goes wrong on the connection. Once I make it more robust,
    I'll put it in contrib for interested parties.

  11. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    On 9/21/07, Richard Bilson wrote:
    >
    > > Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes?

    >
    > You can't just throw a whole arena into an S3 file, since the S3 API
    > doesn't support seeking within files.
    >
    > On the other hand, an S3 bucket is essentially a big hash table, and
    > so is venti. So I opted for the simple approach of storing the blocks
    > themselves in S3. Given that, a local index doesn't help much. A local
    > bloom filter probably would help, but for now my server is stateless
    > (aside from cache).
    >
    > Right now the server supports the basic venti api, but it falls over
    > if anything goes wrong on the connection. Once I make it more robust,
    > I'll put it in contrib for interested parties.



    I hadn't looked into this idea much beyond a moment of curiosity... Sounds
    like you've thought it out quite a bit though :-)

    once I get my plan 9 box back up and healthy (and possibly add to the ranks
    in my home network) I'd be very interested in taking a look.

    Dave


  12. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    FYI, sources and the wiki have been intermittently down most of the
    day (when I started typing this email the wiki was down, seems to be
    back up right now, but the web interface to sources is down now, and I
    have had trouble accessing sources over 9p all day).

    uriel

    P.S.: Thanks to people in irc for reporting and confirming the issues.

    On 9/21/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > On 9/21/07, Richard Bilson wrote:
    > > > Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes?

    > >
    > > You can't just throw a whole arena into an S3 file, since the S3 API
    > > doesn't support seeking within files.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, an S3 bucket is essentially a big hash table, and
    > > so is venti. So I opted for the simple approach of storing the blocks
    > > themselves in S3. Given that, a local index doesn't help much. A local
    > > bloom filter probably would help, but for now my server is stateless
    > > (aside from cache).
    > >
    > > Right now the server supports the basic venti api, but it falls over
    > > if anything goes wrong on the connection. Once I make it more robust,
    > > I'll put it in contrib for interested parties.

    >
    > I hadn't looked into this idea much beyond a moment of curiosity... Sounds
    > like you've thought it out quite a bit though :-)
    >
    >
    > once I get my plan 9 box back up and healthy (and possibly add to the ranks
    > in my home network) I'd be very interested in taking a look.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >


  13. Re: [9fans] plan9.bell-labs.com

    sources has been up for just under 3 days and the machine that hosts
    the wiki has been up for a little under 10 days, so I think you're
    seeing problems with network connectivity.

    When sources or the wiki appear to be down, try

    ip/traceroute sources.cs.bell-labs.com
    ip/traceroute outside.cs.bell-labs.com

    which should suggest where the problem is.


+ Reply to Thread