[9fans] summer of code - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] summer of code - Plan9 ; Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over, I am curious to know what new software has been written for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the projects that happened, with one-line of summary, ...

  1. [9fans] summer of code

    Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over,
    I am curious to know what new software has been written
    for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the
    projects that happened, with one-line of summary,
    one-line of status, and a pointer to the code?

    Thanks.
    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    the inferno plugin for firefox is started, nothing that could be used.
    The student ceased working time ago although he promised to get back to work
    again in october. No code to try out yet.

    On 9/19/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over,
    > I am curious to know what new software has been written
    > for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the
    > projects that happened, with one-line of summary,
    > one-line of status, and a pointer to the code?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    i can post a summary later tonight if my hotel's internet path has improved.

  4. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    it didn't improve. it is bad. meanwhile, you can explore from http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2007-p9/
    (Downloads and Links, esp the blog) to get some idea. one project is missing from Downloads, i see.
    briefly, the inferno-related ones are being incorporated into the distribution,
    sometimes causing big changes.
    (one includes plan 9 components to be submitted as patches.)

    possibly students or mentors can comment on the precise status of others.

    many of the projects were arguably too big for a summer or just too hard
    (qemu's implementation in particular is rather shall we say challenging), BUT
    strangely, many of those were completed, and some of the simpler, more
    manageable ones failed (and some of those were surprising).

    i'd say more but this is too tedious at the moment.
    traceroute suggests roadworks in DFW area, severe delays possible.

  5. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    On 9/18/07, Russ Cox wrote:

    > Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over,
    > I am curious to know what new software has been written
    > for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the
    > projects that happened, with one-line of summary,
    > one-line of status, and a pointer to the code?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Russ

    Inferno on Nintendo DS :-)

    http://homepage.mac.com/leimy2k/movies/inferno-ds.MP4

    Needs some attention, the SPI and IPC for the ARM7/ARM9 CPUs to get touch
    screen working etc could be at fault according to Noah. I've had very
    little time to look, but the code still builds to the state in the video :-)

    Dave

  6. Re: [9fans] summer of code

  7. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    I confess to being impressed by the Plan 9 port to OLPC. I did the
    first BIOS for this machine and I kind of appreciate the difficulties
    -- which start with no VESA mode. I'm going to download it and try it
    out. I think it's a nice job, esp. in one summer.

    Congrats to ameya.

    thanks

    ron

  8. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    The port is nowhere even near complete, it barely boots, there is
    still a *lot* left to do, unfortunately my inexperience with the
    workings of gsoc combined with having to take care of administration
    work meant I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job mentoring this
    project, I still hope that we can keep working on it and that we have
    learned to do better next year.

    Best wishes

    uriel

    On 9/19/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > I confess to being impressed by the Plan 9 port to OLPC. I did the
    > first BIOS for this machine and I kind of appreciate the difficulties
    > -- which start with no VESA mode. I'm going to download it and try it
    > out. I think it's a nice job, esp. in one summer.
    >
    > Congrats to ameya.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ron

  9. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    One addendum, the touch screen works under an emulator. However the
    IPC data structure that I borrowed(stole) from the libnds code fails
    to update on real hardware. The devkitpro(arm gcc toolchain for the
    ds) code loves to use all sorts of gcc optimization and weirdness so
    this isn't too strange looking back. Charles gave me some very good
    advice on how to set it up with interrupts and I'll try to set things
    up that way once I get my current responsibilities out of the way.

    Noah

    On 9/20/07, David Leimbach wrote:

    > On 9/18/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > > Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over,
    > > I am curious to know what new software has been written
    > > for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the
    > > projects that happened, with one-line of summary,
    > > one-line of status, and a pointer to the code?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Russ
    > >

    > Inferno on Nintendo DS :-)
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/leimy2k/movies/inferno-ds.MP4
    >
    > Needs some attention, the SPI and IPC for the ARM7/ARM9 CPUs to get touch
    > screen working etc could be at fault according to Noah. I've had very
    > little time to look, but the code still builds to the state in the video :-)
    >
    > Dave

  10. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    I have just posted to my blog on gsoc.cat-v.org an update on the final
    status of my project, as well as some thoughts on how GSoC went for me.

    I know this is late, but I was away until the weekend. I hope it is of
    interest to someone.

    - Katelyn

    On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:05:14PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
    > Now that the Google Summer of Code is presumably over,
    > I am curious to know what new software has been written
    > for Plan 9 and Inferno. Could someone post a list of the
    > projects that happened, with one-line of summary,
    > one-line of status, and a pointer to the code?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Russ

  11. Re: [9fans] summer of code

    thanks, I did read it and found it interesting.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread