Re: [9fans] Server management - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Server management - Plan9 ; On 9/13/07, Enrico Weigelt wrote: > > while thinking about my plans for using 9P servers in numerious > situations I just realized that server management can become > quite complex. > > For example if an application like mozilla ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Server management

    On 9/13/07, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

    > while thinking about my plans for using 9P servers in numerious
    > situations I just realized that server management can become
    > quite complex.
    >
    > For example if an application like mozilla would move out many
    > jobs (ie. like currently discussing @ mozilla.org: rss-feeds),
    > server management can be quite complicated. We can't expect
    > neither the user nor the individual application to be responsible
    > for that. We need some zero-configuration approach.
    >
    > Actually it can be done by another server, which knows about
    > all the individual servers, handles startup/shutdown and tells
    > the clients where to find them, how to authenticate, etc, etc.
    > A little bit like RPC portmap.
    >
    > What do you think about this idea ?

    While going with something "standard" (but a bit sticky) like zeroconf
    may be attractive, you may want to look at what the Plan B guys did --
    IIRC they have network discovery and organization integrated into
    their basic framework.

    Essentially I think it makes the most sense to work this sort of
    auto-discovery into existing services (ndb/cs for instance).
    Accomodating zeroconf as a protocol would be nice (particularly from a
    cross-platform compatibility angle), but you could also do something
    like Inferno's registry.

    -eric

  2. Re: [9fans] Server management

    For Plan 9 you could use either version of adsrv. The one in sources
    is centralized,
    and behaves similar to a registry. The one in our dumb (probably in
    sources dump as
    well) was a distributed one (no longer in production use).

    For the octopus I think I copied a modified registry that knows how to
    report changes
    to blocked readers. In case I didn't, assuming anyone might want such
    thing, just drop
    us a line.

    On 9/13/07, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
    > On 9/13/07, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > >
    > > while thinking about my plans for using 9P servers in numerious
    > > situations I just realized that server management can become
    > > quite complex.
    > >
    > > For example if an application like mozilla would move out many
    > > jobs (ie. like currently discussing @ mozilla.org: rss-feeds),
    > > server management can be quite complicated. We can't expect
    > > neither the user nor the individual application to be responsible
    > > for that. We need some zero-configuration approach.
    > >
    > > Actually it can be done by another server, which knows about
    > > all the individual servers, handles startup/shutdown and tells
    > > the clients where to find them, how to authenticate, etc, etc.
    > > A little bit like RPC portmap.
    > >
    > > What do you think about this idea ?
    > >

    > While going with something "standard" (but a bit sticky) like zeroconf
    > may be attractive, you may want to look at what the Plan B guys did --
    > IIRC they have network discovery and organization integrated into
    > their basic framework.
    >
    > Essentially I think it makes the most sense to work this sort of
    > auto-discovery into existing services (ndb/cs for instance).
    > Accomodating zeroconf as a protocol would be nice (particularly from a
    > cross-platform compatibility angle), but you could also do something
    > like Inferno's registry.
    >
    > -eric

+ Reply to Thread