[9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks) - Plan9 ; i've been working on kenfs as we needed a way to have automatic offsite backup. i am using aoe to do the offsite bit so theoretically, one could have a kenfs with no disks. i've also rewritten the marvell sata ...

  1. [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks)

    i've been working on kenfs as we needed a way to have
    automatic offsite backup. i am using aoe to do the offsite
    bit so theoretically, one could have a kenfs with no disks.
    i've also rewritten the marvell sata driver, added the intel
    ahci driver, revamped mmu code. finally, i have a slight
    change to the on-disk layout of the c part of the cw that
    results in a 20x speed improvement. (this change can be
    used on old fses if you dump and then recover using
    the new code.) i've also implemented a new compile-time
    option "fastworm" that inhibits copying from the worm to
    the cache.

    my current testing setup is

    filsys main cp(a0)0.10{a1e99.0[e64.<0-3>]}

    where

    dev driver target
    a? ahci
    e99.0 aoe sr421
    e64.? aoe pata shelf accessed over wireless link.

    if you have any interest in this, please drop me a note
    with the hardware you're using and i'll figure out how
    to arrange access.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks)

    Any chance this could live in sources? Even if kenfs is not part of
    the distribution anymore, it would be nice to have 'unofficial' place
    where people who still want it can find the latest version.

    uriel

    On 9/9/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > i've been working on kenfs as we needed a way to have
    > automatic offsite backup. i am using aoe to do the offsite
    > bit so theoretically, one could have a kenfs with no disks.
    > i've also rewritten the marvell sata driver, added the intel
    > ahci driver, revamped mmu code. finally, i have a slight
    > change to the on-disk layout of the c part of the cw that
    > results in a 20x speed improvement. (this change can be
    > used on old fses if you dump and then recover using
    > the new code.) i've also implemented a new compile-time
    > option "fastworm" that inhibits copying from the worm to
    > the cache.
    >
    > my current testing setup is
    >
    > filsys main cp(a0)0.10{a1e99.0[e64.<0-3>]}
    >
    > where
    >
    > dev driver target
    > a? ahci
    > e99.0 aoe sr421
    > e64.? aoe pata shelf accessed over wireless link.
    >
    > if you have any interest in this, please drop me a note
    > with the hardware you're using and i'll figure out how
    > to arrange access.
    >
    > - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks)

    > Any chance this could live in sources? Even if kenfs is not part of
    > the distribution anymore, it would be nice to have 'unofficial' place
    > where people who still want it can find the latest version.
    >
    > uriel

    that's the eventual goal. i've made a number of changes. i'd like to
    have a way to track how (or if) the new version is being used.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread