[9fans] nventi becomes venti - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] nventi becomes venti - Plan9 ; I'm about to change the distribution on sources to use nventi instead of venti. nventi's venti server now takes all the options that venti's did (-w was the only missing one), so the operational change should ideally be transparent, but ...

  1. [9fans] nventi becomes venti

    I'm about to change the distribution on sources to use
    nventi instead of venti. nventi's venti server now
    takes all the options that venti's did (-w was the only
    missing one), so the operational change should ideally be
    transparent, but be aware that it's happening.

    Programs that haven't been converted to the new venti library
    should include ; these include fossil, vac and vacfs.

  2. Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti

    how stable is the new venti on plan9? how tested?

    we tried it here about a year ago on a 1.7TB single raided partition
    and for two weeks it wasn't able to stay up for more than 24 hours...

    On 9/5/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > I'm about to change the distribution on sources to use
    > nventi instead of venti. nventi's venti server now
    > takes all the options that venti's did (-w was the only
    > missing one), so the operational change should ideally be
    > transparent, but be aware that it's happening.
    >
    > Programs that haven't been converted to the new venti library
    > should include ; these include fossil, vac and vacfs.

  3. Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti

    We've been running nventi all summer on what is now our main
    fileserver, yoshimi, and our outside file server. Russ fixed the
    bug(s) that you encountered; we hit them too initially. (He also
    fixed a deadlock in fossil that could happen under moderate load, such
    as rm -r of a large tree in /n/other.) Nventi works (as does fossil).

  4. Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti

    On 9/5/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > We've been running nventi all summer on what is now our main
    > fileserver, yoshimi, and our outside file server. Russ fixed the
    > bug(s) that you encountered; we hit them too initially. (He also
    > fixed a deadlock in fossil that could happen under moderate load, such
    > as rm -r of a large tree in /n/other.) Nventi works (as does fossil).

    good to hear! we'll be testing it here

  5. Re: [9fans] nventi becomes venti

    Nice. We'll use it here too.

    On 9/5/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > On 9/5/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > > We've been running nventi all summer on what is now our main
    > > fileserver, yoshimi, and our outside file server. Russ fixed the
    > > bug(s) that you encountered; we hit them too initially. (He also
    > > fixed a deadlock in fossil that could happen under moderate load, such
    > > as rm -r of a large tree in /n/other.) Nventi works (as does fossil).
    > >

    > good to hear! we'll be testing it here

+ Reply to Thread