[9fans] latest plan 9 kernel source for lguest - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] latest plan 9 kernel source for lguest - Plan9 ; the latest kernel source for running against the kernel I just sent is /n/sources/contrib/rminnich/lguest/lg23.tar (or will be in a few minutes) it includes a script, bin/rc/lguest, to set up the namespace for building the kernel. There's still some junk files ...

  1. [9fans] latest plan 9 kernel source for lguest

    the latest kernel source for running against the kernel I just sent is
    /n/sources/contrib/rminnich/lguest/lg23.tar
    (or will be in a few minutes)

    it includes a script, bin/rc/lguest, to set up the namespace for
    building the kernel.

    There's still some junk files in there and anyone who wants to clean
    it up a bit and tell me about it is most welcome.

    I'm going to try to do a new THNX release in the next few days. If you
    have recommendations I'll take them.

    I can no longer get the ipw3945 to work at all on linux, iwconfig no
    longer seems to function completely, things key encryption keys don't
    set right. Ah, the joy of binary interfaces. So 20th century. Well,
    really, they feel 19th century but anyway ... "This program was
    compiled for version xy of the wireless interface, but you're on
    version xz, so abandon all hope"

    ron

  2. [9fans] cpu/auth warlock

    Wizard sounds too friendly and reliable :>

    I've been working on a script to turn a fresh install into a cpu/auth server

    I've put what I've got so far on sources

    /n/sources/contrib/maht/rc/make_cpuauth

    or http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...c/make_cpuauth

    What it does is work through the steps laid out in

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ne_CPU_server/

    All the way up to the REBOOT section

    and adds a script /sys/lib/newfsysuser
    that adds a new user via auth/chaneguser and adds that user to fossil in group sys

    If you like you can then run auth/login -u $user on the auth terminal as bootes
    followed by /sys/lib/newuser
    and exit back to bootes

    or else do it once you drawterm in

    What it doesn't do :
    1. Set up the file server part
    I didn't work out how to do that, the wiki page is a bit intimidating

    2. Set up mail
    I haven't got mine to work yet so no point adding it to the script
    Mail files are owned upas:upas and mode 775 so I'm not sure how to write them
    unless I mount fossil -AWP

    3. Set up DHCPD
    Again, I've not got that far in my own setup yet

    other stuff, please let me know

    If people are interested in using it it probably needs a bit of toughening up.
    I've been using QEMU in snapshot mode to test it, so failure had few consequences.

    matt

  3. [9fans] 9pccpuf

    I was wondering why 9pccpuf isn't included in the distribution when other kernels are ?

    The wiki seems to think it should be present :

    > You need to use a cpu/auth kernel, the existing one in /386/9pccpuf should work.

    Has it dropped out by accident ?

  4. Re: [9fans] cpu/auth warlock

    On 9/10/07, maht wrote:
    > Wizard sounds too friendly and reliable :>
    >
    > I've been working on a script to turn a fresh install into a cpu/auth server
    >
    > I've put what I've got so far on sources

    Very cool!

    > What it doesn't do :
    > 1. Set up the file server part
    > I didn't work out how to do that, the wiki page is a bit intimidating

    What wiki page are you referring to?

    > 2. Set up mail
    > I haven't got mine to work yet so no point adding it to the script
    > Mail files are owned upas:upas and mode 775 so I'm not sure how to write them
    > unless I mount fossil -AWP

    I might be missing something, but any reason not to just add bootes to
    group upas?

    Best wishes

    uriel

  5. Re: [9fans] cpu/auth warlock

    >> 2. Set up mail
    >> I haven't got mine to work yet so no point adding it to the script
    >> Mail files are owned upas:upas and mode 775 so I'm not sure how to write them
    >> unless I mount fossil -AWP

    > I might be missing something, but any reason not to just add bootes to
    > group upas?

    the hostowner must be in group upas. all users allowed to mail must be
    in group upas.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] cpu/auth warlock

    > the hostowner must be in group upas. all users allowed to mail must be
    > in group upas.

    that's news to me.

  7. Re: [9fans] cpu/auth warlock

    >> the hostowner must be in group upas. all users allowed to mail must be
    >> in group upas.

    > that's news to me.

    s:to mail:to receive mail:g

    if that's still news to you, then maybe something has change?

    - erik

  8. Re: [9fans] mail warlock

    I've done a not so complicated script for the mail configuration

    it uses -AWP so you need to run it on the console

    It asks you what default domain name to use and then direct or gateway

    /n/sources/contrib/maht/rc/warlock_mail

    or http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...c/warlock_mail

  9. [9fans] ip/httpd/mirror

    /magic/mirror /magic/mirror on the wall
    What are the parameters of this call ?

    ip/httpd/mirror: '/bin/ip/httpd/mirror' does not exist

    though httpd(8) states otherwise

    I can't check history on sources to see where/why it went away because
    *.cs.bell-labs.com is not there today.

    matt

  10. Re: [9fans] ip/httpd/mirror

    ip/httpd/mirror [-b inbuf] [-d domain] [-r remoteip] [-w
    webroot] [-N netdir] method version uri [search]

    Mirror is a trivial server that just returns the method,
    URI, any search, the headers, and the message body sent by
    the client.

    don't know why it went away, but it would be simple enough to write.

    - erik

  11. Re: [9fans] 9pccpuf

    2007/9/10, maht :

    > I was wondering why 9pccpuf isn't included in the distribution when other
    > kernels are ?
    >
    > The wiki seems to think it should be present :
    >
    > > You need to use a cpu/auth kernel, the existing one in /386/9pccpuf

    > should work.
    >
    > Has it dropped out by accident ?

    Hi ! you can build 9pccpuf by yourself. Please read -
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...els/index.html
    --
    С Уважением
    Жилкин Сергей