Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory? - Plan9 ; > The current swap just frustrates people who expect it to work, and > then have their systems freeze randomly. Maybe by disabling/remove > swap support, then if someone really needs swap he will fix it first > and then ...

  1. Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory?

    > The current swap just frustrates people who expect it to work, and
    > then have their systems freeze randomly. Maybe by disabling/remove
    > swap support, then if someone really needs swap he will fix it first
    > and then we can add it back.

    i'm not sure all the random freezes are caused by swap.
    in a way, it would be nice if they were, but i wonder...

  2. Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory?

    Can't find out for sure until someone fixes it )

    One more reason IMHO why we are best off having it disabled, so when
    things freeze we know it is something else.

    Best wishes

    uriel

    On 9/3/07, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > > The current swap just frustrates people who expect it to work, and
    > > then have their systems freeze randomly. Maybe by disabling/remove
    > > swap support, then if someone really needs swap he will fix it first
    > > and then we can add it back.

    > i'm not sure all the random freezes are caused by swap.
    > in a way, it would be nice if they were, but i wonder...

  3. Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory?

    >> The current swap just frustrates people who expect it to work, and
    >> then have their systems freeze randomly. Maybe by disabling/remove
    >> swap support, then if someone really needs swap he will fix it first
    >> and then we can add it back.

    > i'm not sure all the random freezes are caused by swap.
    > in a way, it would be nice if they were, but i wonder...

    probablly not.

    i am currently tracking down a problem on my amd system
    at home. the fault seems paging related, but i don't have any
    configured "swap" partition.

    this fault is during demand loading.

    - erik

    cpu0: registers for smtpd 36123
    FLAGS=10206 TRAP=E ECODE=0 PC=F018BF4C SS=5C88 USP=F025194C
    AX F0059E1C BX F0059018 CX 00827424 DX 0000F000
    SI 0000F000 DI 00010000 BP 00000000
    CS 0010 DS 0008 ES 0008 FS 001B GS 001B
    CR0 80010039 CR2 00827458 CR3 08e5c000 CR4 000000d0
    MCA 177e882776 MCT 00000000
    ur f367e4c0 up f02d1ab8
    panic: fault: 0x827458

    ktrace ->

    src(0xf0108b6e); // dumpstack+0x10
    src(0xf014ddb6); // panic+0xfe
    src(0xf0108d8c); // fault386+0x17d
    src(0xf010832f); // trap+0x15d
    src(0xf010062a); // forkret
    //passing interrupt frame; last pc found at sp=0xf367e4b8
    src(0xf018bf4c); // lookpage+0x2f
    src(0xf018ab7e); // pio+0x34
    src(0xf018aaaf); // fixfault+0x337
    src(0xf018a663); // fault+0xc8
    src(0xf0108d52); // fault386+0x143
    src(0xf010832f); // trap+0x15d
    src(0xf010062a); // forkret

    acid: src(0xf018bf4c); // lookpage+0x2f
    /sys/src/9/port/page.c:441
    4 439 lock(&palloc.hashlock);
    440 for(f = pghash(daddr); f; f = f->hash) {
    >441 if(f->image == i && f->daddr == daddr) {

    /sys/src/9/port/fault.c:198
    196 if(loadrec == 0) { /* from a text/data image */
    197 daddr = s->fstart+soff;
    >198 new = lookpage(s->image, daddr);

    199 if(new != nil) {

    /sys/src/9/port/fault.c:90
    88 case SG_TEXT: /* Demand load */
    89 if(pagedout(*pg))
    >90 pio(s, addr, soff, pg);

  4. Re: [9fans] plan 9 overcommits memory?

    If you don't want to swap, rename or delete any swap partitions you
    have and don't run swap in termrc nor cpurc.

+ Reply to Thread