[9fans] plan9 packages - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plan9 packages - Plan9 ; Hi, Can I suggest that when ken's fs is split from the main plan9 tree it is not tar'ed up but it is just copied to a source tree which contains only the kenfs stuff but in their correct places ...

  1. [9fans] plan9 packages

    Hi,

    Can I suggest that when ken's fs is split from the main
    plan9 tree it is not tar'ed up but it is just copied to a source
    tree which contains only the kenfs stuff but in their correct places
    in a plan9 hierarchy, and a replica proto generated for it.

    The idea is that the new owner(s) of the kenfs tree could be given
    write permission to the code and then those who want to continue
    to use it could get the latest changes by doing somthing like:

    bind -a /n/sources/plan9/replica /n/sources/extra/kenfs/replica
    replica/pull kenfs

    We would lose nothing as the last "supported" release of kenfs will
    allways be available in sourcesdump.

    I would be willing to try to do the same work with some of the other
    tars in the contrib area (x11, tex etc)

    I do understand the danger that we might end up with somthing like the debian
    package managment stuff However it would be great to have an easy way to grab
    an arbitary package and keep it up to date. I recently fixed a silly bug in
    cvsfs but it doesn't really seem worthwhile emailing the whole list.

    It would also be great if the packages had some sport of Author file so
    people could submit patches against them and the relevant person/people would
    get the patch email.

    What do people think, neat idea or the thin end of the wedge?

    -Steve

  2. Re: [9fans] plan9 packages

    hello

    i think /contrib is the first step into this. May be we can build a
    way to be able to replica/pull the /contrib dir, assume it would go in
    /src/contrib or something like that, :-?

    everyone can prepare its contributions to fit a common model (if that
    is possible t

    slds.

    gabi

    On 9/2/07, Steve Simon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I suggest that when ken's fs is split from the main
    > plan9 tree it is not tar'ed up but it is just copied to a source
    > tree which contains only the kenfs stuff but in their correct places
    > in a plan9 hierarchy, and a replica proto generated for it.
    >
    > The idea is that the new owner(s) of the kenfs tree could be given
    > write permission to the code and then those who want to continue
    > to use it could get the latest changes by doing somthing like:
    >
    > bind -a /n/sources/plan9/replica /n/sources/extra/kenfs/replica
    > replica/pull kenfs
    >
    > We would lose nothing as the last "supported" release of kenfs will
    > allways be available in sourcesdump.
    >
    > I would be willing to try to do the same work with some of the other
    > tars in the contrib area (x11, tex etc)
    >
    > I do understand the danger that we might end up with somthing like the debian
    > package managment stuff However it would be great to have an easy way to grab
    > an arbitary package and keep it up to date. I recently fixed a silly bug in
    > cvsfs but it doesn't really seem worthwhile emailing the whole list.
    >
    > It would also be great if the packages had some sport of Author file so
    > people could submit patches against them and the relevant person/people would
    > get the patch email.
    >
    > What do people think, neat idea or the thin end of the wedge?
    >
    > -Steve

+ Reply to Thread