[9fans] new igbe network card not activated - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] new igbe network card not activated - Plan9 ; Moin, I put a new Intel PRO/1000 in my Plan 9 server. The card is detected by 9load (?) as ether#0 igbe and then as #l1: i82543. There is another network interface on board which ist detected as elnk3. I ...

  1. [9fans] new igbe network card not activated

    Moin,

    I put a new Intel PRO/1000 in my Plan 9 server. The card is detected
    by 9load (?) as ether#0 igbe and then as #l1: i82543. There is another
    network interface on board which ist detected as elnk3. I put
    ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.

    My problem is, that /net/ether0 points always to the elnk3 card. There
    is no /net/ether1. How do I enable the second card? I don't need the
    elnk3 so disable the elnk3 in the kernel maybe an option.

    Many thanks
    Matthias

  2. Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated

    > ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.

    I think that should be:

    ether0=type=igbe
    ether1=type=elnk3

    --
    "Christ, what an imagination I've got." - Shalmaneser

  3. Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated

    >> ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.
    >
    > I think that should be:
    >
    > ether0=type=igbe
    > ether1=type=elnk3

    I second that. It's caught me a good few times, including this
    particular incident :-(

    ++L

  4. Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated

    On 01:25 Sat 01 Sep, Anthony Martin wrote:
    > ether0=type=igbe
    > ether1=type=elnk3

    Works great, many thanks
    Matthias

  5. Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated

    > I put a new Intel PRO/1000 in my Plan 9 server. The card is detected
    > by 9load (?) as ether#0 igbe and then as #l1: i82543. There is another
    > network interface on board which ist detected as elnk3. I put
    > ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.
    >
    > My problem is, that /net/ether0 points always to the elnk3 card. There
    > is no /net/ether1. How do I enable the second card? I don't need the
    > elnk3 so disable the elnk3 in the kernel maybe an option.

    the previous posts were correct, you need "ether0=type=$TYPE".
    however ether1 won't just appear in /net. if you want to use ether1,
    you've got to bind it into the default network stack with
    # bind -a '#l1' /net
    typically, though, second network cards are bound into a different
    network stack
    # bind -a '#I1' /net.alt
    # bind -a '#l1' /net.alt
    # ip/ipconfig -x/net.alt [other options here]

    by the way, i have a driver that should do all intel pro/1000
    pcie cards. i'll try to get it submitted soon. coraid are using the 82563,
    82571 and 82573. i am using two 82572 at home.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...643&CatId=2380

    i don't have an 82566 to test with, but it should work as well unless i
    have the wrong device id. intel have a habit of publishing incorrect
    device ids in their yellow books.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread