Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU) - Plan9

This is a discussion on Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU) - Plan9 ; On 7/4/07, ron minnich wrote: > folks, just FYI, for the THX project, I have looked hard and am fixing > on the new lguest hypervisor as the final plan. Please google lguest > and see what you think. It's ...

  1. Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU)

    On 7/4/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > folks, just FYI, for the THX project, I have looked hard and am fixing
    > on the new lguest hypervisor as the final plan. Please google lguest
    > and see what you think. It's 5K lines of code, the guest support code
    > is trivial, and I think overall this is going to be the easiest thing
    > to do. The work should actually not take too long this time. Xen can
    > be hard to get your brain around.

    Looks like a patch on the Linux kernel to run as a hypervisor. Is
    that how you intend to run it, or are you planning on porting the code
    to Plan 9, making p9 the hypervisor? Or am I totally misunderstanding
    the blurbs on ?

    --Joel

  2. Re: Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU)

    I'm porting plan 9 to lguest. making plan9 support lguest would not be
    impossible, but since the whole issue here is drivers, I don't see any
    reason to do it.

    ron

  3. Re: Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU)

    > I'm porting plan 9 to lguest. making plan9 support lguest would not be
    > impossible, but since the whole issue here is drivers, I don't see any
    > reason to do it.

    Well, it's a chicken and egg situation. If adding to lguest the
    ability to use the standardised Plan 9 driver interface actually
    simplifies lguest (it may not, of course, but one can wish), then the
    exercise becomes much more worthwhile and lguest developers may then
    prefer to use Plan 9 as the platform. And develop drivers for it.

    I have a feeling some of that is beginning to filter into Xen,
    although their priorities are necessarily elsewhere presently and for
    the foreseeable future.

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread