[9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD - Plan9 ; Hello. I have trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD. When Plan 9 is booting, it hangs after this: boot from: sdD1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz found 9pcflop.gz ..gz... ... ...1209674 => 803921 + 1043600 + 130816 = 1978337 entry: f0100020 Plan 9 _ ...

  1. [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    Hello.

    I have trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD.
    When Plan 9 is booting, it hangs after this:

    boot from: sdD1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
    found 9pcflop.gz
    ..gz... ... ...1209674
    => 803921 + 1043600 + 130816 = 1978337
    entry: f0100020

    Plan 9
    _

    With some help from #plan9, I realized it's likely a hardware compatibility
    issue and the problem is in the kernel.

    My machine is a core2duo notebook with an i945 chip set.

    The IDE controller is:

    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA
    Storage Controller IDE (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])

    With the PCI id:

    00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c4 (rev 02)

    Despite the fact that this IDE/SATA controller is not stated in the hardware
    compatibility page, I've been told that support for it had been recently added.

    There are people who can boot Plan 9 successfully in similar hardware.

    The only difference found so far relies in the revision number of the
    controller. People that can run Plan 9 have revision 01 while my hardware
    specs have revision 02.

    Feel free to ask for further information to help me get Plan 9 running.

    (Thanks to johnnybuoy and ality from #plan9 for the startup (and uriel, for the
    "welcome" in the Plan9 community)).

  2. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    i'm not sure you can blame the ide/sata controller for this problem.
    you're failing before cpuidprint() in main.c so interrupts haven't even
    been enabled. you might try *nomp=1 in your plan9.ini file.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    I'm using a cd image from 30th June.
    I don't know if these are the right files, but:

    The contents of

    /sys/lib/dist/pc/plan9.ini.cd

    and

    /sys/lib/dist/pc/plan9.ini

    both have the argument *nomp=1. Seems to be standard.

    Is there a possibility to boot from a usb drive? If so, how?
    I lack the floppy drive to make a customized boot.

    In the case I don't have that possibility, how do I change the cd
    image to alter plan9.ini contents and make it bootable again?

    On 05/07/07, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > i'm not sure you can blame the ide/sata controller for this problem.
    > you're failing before cpuidprint() in main.c so interrupts haven't even
    > been enabled. you might try *nomp=1 in your plan9.ini file.
    >
    > - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    I've downloaded the floppy image, did dd if=plan9.flp of=/dev/usbstick ...
    .... and managed to edit the contents of plan9.ini.

    However, after booting from the usb memory stick it complained about
    finding plan9.ini and told me it was an invalid fat filesystem.

    I backed up the contents from the stick, did a FAT16 reformat and it still
    complained about it being an invalid filesystem.

    Any hints?

  5. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    the problem is not the usb stick, but the fact that plan 9 does not recognize
    the usb stick as a floppy disk as it is not using the bios calls. it is the bios calls
    that map requests to the floppy disk and map them to the usb.

    thus 9load cannot find plan9.ini.

    the easy (but oh-so-wrong) might be to have 9load stay in 16bit mode long
    enough to probe the "floppy" for plan9.ini. and stick it someplace useful
    before branching running 9load proper.

    a better but more involved fix might be to switch to 16bit mode and call bios
    for floppy access. this is more complicated but could pave the way for 9load
    using universal drivers (part of the pxe standard) to load the kernel proper
    instead of modified versions of the cpu kernel drivers.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    On 7/7/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > a better but more involved fix might be to switch to 16bit mode and call bios
    > for floppy access. this is more complicated but could pave the way for 9load
    > using universal drivers (part of the pxe standard) to load the kernel proper
    > instead of modified versions of the cpu kernel drivers.

    Thinking about how some of the other platforms handle it, and even
    other OSes on x86, has anyone looked at trying to leverage a different
    bootloader? Something like grub, maybe?

    -Jack

  7. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    This makes a good read, too:

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...oad/index.html

    -Jack

  8. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    i didn't intend to start that thread. especially since i don't have
    time to do too much with 9load right now.

    - erik

  9. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    On Sat Jul 7 21:19:33 EDT 2007, knapjack@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thinking about how some of the other platforms handle it, and even
    > other OSes on x86, has anyone looked at trying to leverage a different
    > bootloader? Something like grub, maybe?
    >
    > -Jack

    this won't work.

    remember the whole problem is reading plan9.ini
    the cpu kernel expects 9load to find plan9.ini, interact with the
    user and put the results at a particular location in memory.

    - erik

  10. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 09:00:36PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > the problem is not the usb stick, but the fact that plan 9 does not recognize
    > the usb stick as a floppy disk as it is not using the bios calls. it is the bios calls
    > that map requests to the floppy disk and map them to the usb.
    >
    > thus 9load cannot find plan9.ini.

    I may be wrong, but I think that in this very case the usb stick is
    considered as a hard drive, and should have a MBR. dd'ing the floppy on
    a "hard drive" is unlikeky to give correct result since the FAT table
    may be not on the right sector (if a MBR is expected, the partition
    table in this case will be garbage)?

    >From your remarks and after a cursory look to the sources in boot/ it

    seems that when I suggested, in another thread, to type fd0!9pcflop.gz
    (for El Torito) I was wrong since the BIOS services are not used after
    the PBS, and this is a BIOS trick. But then I'm a bit puzzled about the
    "fd0 sd0" print for choices for the files (unless the "boot" device
    is always reported in the list, and since fd0 was given as the boot
    device by the BIOS for use in PBS). Well this means that I have to study
    more carefully the code before giving advices...

    Mea maxima culpa.
    --
    Thierry Laronde (Alceste)
    http://www.kergis.com/

  11. Re: [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD

    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...oad/index.html

    I am motivated to take the effort and help on this possibility.
    However, there is a problem ("chicken and egg") since I can't boot it.
    Xen (or QEMU) could provide a reasonable environment to work with Plan9, though.
    If there is someone willing to help, please let me know.

+ Reply to Thread