[9fans] keys broken after reboot? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] keys broken after reboot? - Plan9 ; Hi all, what could be the cause of the following phenomenon: After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser, reboot, it works again. Best ...

  1. [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    Hi all,
    what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
    After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
    anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
    agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
    reboot, it works again.

    Best regards,

    Matthias

  2. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    > Hi all,
    > what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
    > After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
    > anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
    > agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
    > reboot, it works again.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Matthias

    i'm not sure i follow. sorry to be pedantic, but...

    you say that after every reboot you are unable to authenticate,
    but your fix includes a reboot which would mean that sometimes
    after a reboot, things work.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:02:04AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
    > > After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
    > > anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
    > > agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
    > > reboot, it works again.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Matthias

    > i'm not sure i follow. sorry to be pedantic, but...
    >
    > you say that after every reboot you are unable to authenticate,
    > but your fix includes a reboot which would mean that sometimes
    > after a reboot, things work.

    You're right of course.

    It seems I shut down the cpu/auth server without fshalt,
    resulting in problems already discussed here
    (http://marc.info/?l=9fans&m=117802427310068&w=2).
    I will try the fix suggested there.

    Sorry for the noise,

    Matthias

  4. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    this is a gotcha with a standalone setup. it's not supposed to
    be that easy to confuse the fs.

    if you can at all swing a stand-alone fileserver, you'll really
    be glad you did. ken's fileserver will run on old pIII and pII
    hardware that current cpu kernels have trouble with. at home
    i have a $150 (with shipping) va research blue light special^w^w^w
    440gx-based 450Mhz pIII coppermine machine. occasionally
    i knock my auth server over. the fs and my termnal could care less.

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    On 7/5/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > i have a $150 (with shipping) va research blue light special^w^w^w

    I've often wondered just how inexpensively you could put together a
    reasonable Plan 9 network.

    At work, we're buying $150 thin clients from Devon IT (
    http://www.devonit.com/ ), the NTA 6020P. PXE booting, no disk. I
    think the only moving part is the fan. One of these weeks I'll see if
    all the hardware is supported by Plan 9.

    The other models use, I believe, flash drives that appear as IDE
    devices. A half-gig of flash and there's an auth server with one
    moving part, for something under $300. So now fileserver.

    Ideally, it would be nice to do something similar and just attach it
    to a storage array, either directly or indirectly. So, maybe another
    box just like the auth server and a handful of Coraid EtherDrive eval
    kits?

    So, maybe three boxes at, say, $750 total, maybe another $150 for a
    monitor, keyboard and mouse. We need some crappy 8-port switch for
    $50. Let's continue the dirt cheap theme and go a couple of 80 GB
    drives striped for the bulk of the filesystem and a 200 GB drive for
    the venti arenas for $200 in drives. So, we're looking at a
    relatively slow but relatively proper Plan 9 network for about $1,250
    plus the eval kits (which Erik and Brantley will smuggle out for us),
    plus another $300 per node, without recycling any used gear. Assuming
    you could survive on an 800 MHz terminal.

    Leveraging used gear, you could probably pick up dying Dell PII/PIII
    laptops for $150 a pop easy and start from there. Plus, laptops have
    their own UPSes and come pre-dropped.

    -Jack

  6. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    On 7/5/07, Jack Johnson wrote:
    > plus another $300 per node

    Make that per additional node, though with our three AoE disks and
    three machines we're filling up our crappy 8-port switch fast.

    -J

  7. Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?

    > So, maybe three boxes at, say, $750 total, maybe another $150 for a
    > monitor, keyboard and mouse. We need some crappy 8-port switch for
    > $50. Let's continue the dirt cheap theme and go a couple of 80 GB
    > drives striped for the bulk of the filesystem and a 200 GB drive for
    > the venti arenas for $200 in drives. So, we're looking at a
    > relatively slow but relatively proper Plan 9 network for about $1,250
    > plus the eval kits (which Erik and Brantley will smuggle out for us),
    > plus another $300 per node, without recycling any used gear. Assuming
    > you could survive on an 800 MHz terminal.

+ Reply to Thread