[9fans] installing extra software - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] installing extra software - Plan9 ; Hello. I have just installed plan9 on a micronpc millennia rs-2100 with 64MB Ram and a !8GB Hard drive. I hope that the information helps out some. I am having to burn CD's at one computer and bring them to ...

  1. [9fans] installing extra software

    Hello. I have just installed plan9 on a micronpc millennia rs-2100 with 64MB Ram and a !8GB Hard drive. I hope that the information helps out some. I am having to burn CD's at one computer and bring them to the Plan9 box. This is not a problem. However, I do not know how to compile software for plan 9 and would like a link to a simple tutorial. I understand the basics of Linux and FreeBSD. I hope that any information I have given will be of some assistance.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Obrigado e tchau

  2. Re: [9fans] installing extra software

    > Hello. I have just installed plan9 on a micronpc millennia rs-2100 with 64MB Ram and a !8GB Hard drive. I hope that the information helps out some. I am having to burn CD's at one computer and bring them to the Plan9 box. This is not a problem. However, I do not know how to compile software for plan 9 and would like a link to a simple tutorial. I understand the basics of Linux and FreeBSD. I hope that any information I have given will be of some assistance.
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    > Obrigado e tchau

    It's pretty easy to compile software on Plan 9. Just get the tarball and
    unpack it. There's usually a mkfile in the base directory of the source
    tar, so just running 'mk' is usually sufficient. If there's a README, read
    it.

    Now, if you just have a foo.c file, just do this:
    8c foo.c
    8l foo.8
    and find the executable in ./8.out. You can then install it by
    copying it to $home/bin/386/ or /bin.

    John

  3. Re: [9fans] installing extra software

    On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 06:53:27AM -1000, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:
    >and find the executable in ./8.out. You can then install it by
    >copying it to $home/bin/386/ or /bin.

    /bin is usually not mounted with -c. You'd copy it to
    /$objtype/bin or $home/bin/$objtype

    --
    Kris Maglione

    If it sits on your desk for 15 minutes, you've just
    become the expert.

  4. Re: [9fans] installing extra software

    On 7/4/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:
    > > However, I do not know how to compile software for plan 9 and would like a link to a simple tutorial. I understand the basics of Linux and FreeBSD.

    > It's pretty easy to compile software on Plan 9. Just get the tarball and
    > unpack it. There's usually a mkfile in the base directory of the source
    > tar, so just running 'mk' is usually sufficient. If there's a README, read
    > it.

    It's also worth noting that, in general, Plan 9 has it's own software,
    or it's own port of some software you may already be familiar with.
    If your intent is to compile someone else's software you had to
    compile for Linux or FreeBSD, you may be in for a challenge, depending
    on your choice.

    If this is the case, I would suggest starting here:

    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/pla...n_9/index.html

    -Jack

+ Reply to Thread