[9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install notrecognized. - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install notrecognized. - Plan9 ; Greetings, I followed these instructions: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/pla...Xen/index.html for installing plan9 in a Xen domU. It appeared to go swimmingly, until I tried booting the image file after my successful install: 216# xm create -c plan9.py Using config file "./plan9.py". Error: unknown ...

  1. [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install notrecognized.

    Greetings,

    I followed these instructions:

    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/pla...Xen/index.html

    for installing plan9 in a Xen domU. It appeared to go swimmingly, until
    I tried booting the image file after my successful install:

    216# xm create -c plan9.py
    Using config file "./plan9.py".
    Error: unknown image type: plan9
    217# file plan9.img
    plan9.img: x86 boot sector
    218# ls -l plan9.img
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1073741824 2007-07-04 08:56 plan9.img
    219#

    My plan9.py looks like:

    kernel = "/export/2/Guests/Plan9/9xenpcf.gz"
    builder = "plan9"
    memory = 256
    name = "plan9"
    vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:10:00:00:1b, bridge=xen-br0' ]
    disk = [ 'file:/export/2/Guests/Plan9/plan9.img,loop0,w' ]
    ip = "10.10.0.9/24" # <- IP you will give to xen9
    #restart = 'never'
    console = 999

    # This is the equivalent of plan9.ini:
    extra="""
    nobootprompt=local
    """

    My dom0 is Fedora 7 + Xen 3.1, both compiled with PAE turned off.

    Apparently, Xen on F7 doesn't recognize the boot image plan9.img,
    created by the plan9 install.

    Any hints as to what incantations I may have missed?

    Thank you,

    Mike

  2. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    Try deleting this line from your config file:

    > builder = "plan9"

  3. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    folks, just FYI, for the THX project, I have looked hard and am fixing
    on the new lguest hypervisor as the final plan. Please google lguest
    and see what you think. It's 5K lines of code, the guest support code
    is trivial, and I think overall this is going to be the easiest thing
    to do. The work should actually not take too long this time. Xen can
    be hard to get your brain around.

    Xen was notable at ottawa linux symposium mostly by its absence, and
    the fact that people (almost continually) deprecated it in favor of
    either KVM or lguest. The Xen BOF actually got cancelled. The Xen
    Plan 9 is fine for the time being, but it is also time to move on to a
    simpler way of doing things.

    thanks

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    Richard Miller wrote:
    > Try deleting this line from your config file:
    >
    >> builder = "plan9"

    That got me further, thanks. It next dies trying to read then write the
    nvram, which is /dev/sd00/nvram in my image. It apparently can't find it.

    256# xm create -c plan9.py
    Using config file "./plan9.py".

    Plan 9
    127 holes free
    001e5000 04dad000 79462400
    79462400 bytes free
    cpu0: 1993MHz GenuineIntel PentiumIV/Xeon (cpuid: AX 0x0F27 DX 0xBFEBFBFF)
    Started domain plan9
    #l0: xen: 100Mbps port 0x0 irq -1: aa001000001b
    256M memory: 78M kernel data, 178M user, 803M swap
    cpu0: spurious interrupt 101, last 0
    can't read nvram: unknown device in # filename
    authid: bootes
    authdom: fubar
    secstore key:
    password:
    can't write key to nvram: fd out of range or not open
    boot: can't connect to file server: '#S/sdC0/' file does not exist
    panic: boot process died: unknown
    panic: boot process died: unknown
    dumpstack
    ktrace /kernel/path 80014015 801e71f8 <
    Am I missing something from my bootargs?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  5. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    >oot: can't connect to file server: '#S/sdC0/' file does not exist

    That should bd sd00 on Xen, not sdC0. Where is sdC0 getting set?

    ron

  6. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    > That got me further, thanks. It next dies trying to read then write the
    > nvram, which is /dev/sd00/nvram in my image. It apparently can't find it.

    You are looking at the old Xen2 instructions on the wiki. I should have
    noticed before that you said this:

    > I followed these instructions:
    > http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/pla...Xen/index.html

    The very first thing on that page is

    These instructions are for Xen 2.0. See

    for Xen 3.0 instructions.

    You should get on a bit better with those.

  7. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    ron minnich wrote:
    >> oot: can't connect to file server: '#S/sdC0/' file does not exist

    > That should bd sd00 on Xen, not sdC0. Where is sdC0 getting set?
    >
    > ron

    Greetings, ron,

    My xen startup file was 99% right - I had the bootargs set from the Xen
    3.0 instructions, and the disk setting from the Xen 2.0 instructions.

    Once I fixed that, I was in business.

    6c6
    < disk = [ 'file:/export/2/Guests/Plan9/plan9.img,loop0,w' ]
    ---
    > disk = [ 'file:/export/2/Guests/Plan9/plan9.img,sda,w' ]

    15c15

    Thanks much for your help.

    Mike

  8. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    On 7/6/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
    > - Does some of the simplicity come from being linux-specific? Comments
    > say "guest and host run the same kernel". Or is it generic enough to
    > work with Plan 9 too?

    it's working up to me calling LHINIT and then LHCRASH.

    > - My interest in Xen is pragmatic: there are plenty of hosting companies
    > offering "virtual servers" based on Xen, and some at least are happy
    > to let you run a Plan 9 guest kernel. (In particular I can recommend
    > http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk from personal experience.) How long
    > before lguest reaches that level of maturity? Sadly, simplicity in
    > itself is not much of a marketing advantage in the real world.

    Ah, so keeping a xen port is good. That's fine. But for THX, Xen is
    just too hard.

    ron

  9. Re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU: plan9.img file after install not

    > it's working up to me calling LHINIT and then LHCRASH.

    Now that's what I call minimalist.

+ Reply to Thread