Re: [9fans] Taking plan9 concepts to *nix - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Taking plan9 concepts to *nix - Plan9 ; On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 15:29 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote: > The idea is: the browser exports an fs with the standard plan9 > graphical window and some additional (browser-specific) services. > So from the view of the "plugin" (which now ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Taking plan9 concepts to *nix

    On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 15:29 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > The idea is: the browser exports an fs with the standard plan9
    > graphical window and some additional (browser-specific) services.
    > So from the view of the "plugin" (which now becomes an separate
    > application), it's place in the browser is an graphical terminal
    > with perhaps some additional features.

    You should really take a look at Plan B work that Nemo's team
    has been doing:
    http://lsub.org/ls/planb.html

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  2. Re: [9fans] Taking plan9 concepts to *nix

    There are several things that we are not going to implement soon, that
    any other one
    could take, should it be interesting.

    One is to implement other viewers for omero (in Inferno), so that a
    different kind of
    feel (eg., one for non-programmers) could be available.

    Another one is to write a unix library compatible with a popular
    widget interface, but
    running against omero instead of using X. That way, unix apps using
    that inferface could
    exploit both inferno and omero.

    There are more ideas, but we're quite busy right now with the octopus
    in general.
    In particular, omero for the octopus and a silly paper is getting 90%
    of my time.

    Thought I should say this, just in case

    On 6/28/07, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
    > On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 15:29 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > > The idea is: the browser exports an fs with the standard plan9
    > > graphical window and some additional (browser-specific) services.
    > > So from the view of the "plugin" (which now becomes an separate
    > > application), it's place in the browser is an graphical terminal
    > > with perhaps some additional features.

    > You should really take a look at Plan B work that Nemo's team
    > has been doing:
    > http://lsub.org/ls/planb.html
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Roman.