Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ? - Plan9 ; On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:01:33PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote: >hmm, I'm not a license expert. Does MIT-L allow compiling >agaist other licences, ie (L)GPL, MPL, etc ? >Wasn't there some issue w/ having to display author names >on ...

  1. Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ?

    On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:01:33PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    >hmm, I'm not a license expert. Does MIT-L allow compiling
    >agaist other licences, ie (L)GPL, MPL, etc ?
    >Wasn't there some issue w/ having to display author names
    >on each program start ?

    It doesn't have to appear at the program start, and the MIT
    license gives explicit permission to sublicense its code. The
    copyright doesn't have to be at the top of the file, but it must
    remain on the code. This is perfectly LGPL compatible. In fact,
    the LGPL requires it, because it's the entire basis of the
    'copyleft' system.

    >I personally would feel better w/ LGPL (just because it always
    >worked fine). Any objections against LGPL ?

    Yes, it's very long and significantly more restrictive than MIT.
    I don't see the need to add the restrictions of the LGPL, nor
    the verbosity or proselatizing that it contains throughout. That
    being said, there's nothing stopping you from sublicensing it
    with the LGPL.

    >hmm, couldnt find it
    >I've tried: http://www.suckless.org/snaps/wmii+ixp-20070508.tgz

    In the wmii tarball, it's called wmiir.c. I should setup nightly
    tarballs, but the plain libixp distibution comes from hg.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    If it's good they will stop making it.

  2. Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ?

    > If the client gets iounit equal to zero, it has to pick a
    > greater-than-zero number. msize - IOHDRSZ is the maximum number of
    > bytes that can be read/written with a single message.

    I guess the kernel is the authoritative source on this, even
    though the man pages don't mention it. I'll capitulate.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    An alcoholic is a person who drinks more than his
    own physician.

  3. Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ?

    The man pages mention it; see iounit(2) and read(5).

  4. Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ?

    On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 04:34:33PM -0400, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    >The man pages mention it; see iounit(2) and read(5).

    Thanks, I suppose I should have grepped; I only checked open(5)
    and intro(5). I didn't associate the text in iounit(2) with the
    9P protocol.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    Bad law is more likely to be supplemented than repealed.

  5. Re: [9fans] What do I need for a small 9P2000 server @ Linux ?

    Don't forget lookman. I just typed `lookman iounit'.

+ Reply to Thread