Colors and other fun - Plan9

This is a discussion on Colors and other fun - Plan9 ; It has always been a great fun for me to use X Window System resources, especially those related to colors. I studied rio(1) and rio(4) and encountered a very very interesting things in control(2), yet did not find a way ...

  1. Colors and other fun

    It has always been a great fun for me to use X Window System
    resources, especially those related to colors. I studied rio(1) and
    rio(4) and encountered a very very interesting things in control(2),
    yet did not find a way to play with graphics above positioning. Does
    colors really hardcoded in applications under Plan 9?

  2. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    colors are hardcoded for applications, however there's a small
    loophole you can use on 8-bpp displays to get something that is
    almost, but not quite, entirely unlike X's resources.

    the 'getmap' command will let you change to a different colormap from
    the default. pre-defined cmaps are in /lib/cmap. from the
    documentation:

    On 8-bit color-mapped displays, getmap loads the display's
    color map (default rgbv). The named colormap can be a file
    in the current directory or in the standard repository
    /lib/cmap. It can also be a string of the form gamma or
    gammaN, where N is a floating point value for the gamma,
    defining the contrast for a monochrome map. Similarly,
    rgamma and rgammaN define a reverse-video monochrome map.
    Finally, the names screen or display or vga are taken as
    synonyms for the current color map stored in the display
    hardware.

  3. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    I like hardcoded colours.
    I like them because they add consistency to the whole enviroment. For
    almost all plan 9 applications you know that "green" means menu or
    action, light yellow is somewhere to write, etc...

    Sadly some apps have been developed without following that "colour
    standard". It would be very good from a "usability pov" (please, don't
    flame me on that) to establish the meaning of each colour. Then we
    should forget about "colours" and start thinking about the meaning of
    whatever we want to show.

    There is only one thing that perhaps could allow in my humble opinion
    some change.... And it is the wallpaper colour. (I love wallpaper
    patterns Not photos or drawings, but tesselations and other
    patterns). We could perhaps use the wallpaper color to mean
    "something"... Just a couple of thoughts.

    The good thing here is that anyone can get it in any flavour...
    (Lucuma yogurt for me, please)

    Cheers!

  4. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    Ok,

    My 2¢ worth.

    I changed the selected text colour in sam to a darker grey-green,
    by editing the source. In my defence the default colour is almost
    invisible on my laptops LCD display.

    -Steve

  5. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 06:55:45PM +0100, Steve Simon wrote:
    >I changed the selected text colour in sam to a darker grey-green,
    >by editing the source. In my defence the default colour is almost
    >invisible on my laptops LCD display.

    I don't see why you'd need a defense. If the color scheme is
    making it harder to do your work, then I don't see how you could
    be denounced for changing it. I, personally, have a hard time
    distinguishing the background color of the selected text in
    acme, possibly because I'm color blind. I sometimes have to get
    close to the screen and squint when matching parens and braces.
    I should change it.

    But that's really pretty minor. When I sit in front of a foreign
    linux box and type ls, I usually get a listing in harsh colors,
    some of which I need to get closer to the screen and squint just
    to make out words. It seems that whenever I see a screenshot of
    a curses app, there are bright and harsh colors, usually blues
    and reds, and I'm astounded that people can tolerate looking at
    them for hours.

    That's my only motivation for changing X resources. Plan 9's
    color scheme, on the other hand, is generally agreeable, and
    I've never really felt much desire to meddle with it.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    To err is human, but to really foul things up requires
    a computer.

  6. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    it sounds like you want γ correction to accommodate your hardware's
    quirks, not a different color in sam.

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    On 6/27/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > it sounds like you want correction to accommodate your hardware's
    > quirks, not a different color in sam.
    >
    > - erik

    yes. if you can't distinguish the colors it's because the monitor's
    not set right.
    they're quite distinct in all respects - and i'm fairly colorblind so
    i know they
    work well in the face of that issue.

    -rob

  8. Re: [9fans] Colors and other fun

    > it sounds like you want γ correction to accommodate your hardware's
    > quirks, not a different color in sam.

    Yep, good call.

    My other thought was that it might be some unfortunate
    interaction between quantization in plan9's colourmap
    (I can only run 8 bit accelerated) and the colours of the
    primaries in my lcd; its rather old, though I have no
    idea if lcds age like crts.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread