[9fans] Anyone else see this? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Anyone else see this? - Plan9 ; http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=19566827 -- "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense." "Men do not ...

  1. [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=19566827

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
    plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
    the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

  2. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/19/07, LiteStar numnums wrote:
    > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=19566827
    >
    > --
    > "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
    > plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
    > the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."
    >
    > "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    > harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    > opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."
    >
    > "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    > or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    > kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    > -- Heraclitus

    Seems like there's some valid criticisms in the post.
    I know it's heresy to question the Holy Code of Pike et al, yet the
    guy does have something worthwhile to say. Hell, it's crazy, but maybe
    it's even a good idea to use variables longer than 2 characters and to
    put comments in code!
    Also, LiteStar, you wil the award for longest sig.

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  3. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > it's even a good idea to use variables longer than 2 characters and to
    > put comments in code!

    Now that itīs been for years that Iīve been suggesting students not
    do so?

  4. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

  5. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=19566827

    it's comical that he's posting as anonymous. i think i have
    discovered his identity. it was not complicated

    if i'm right, it's another malfunction from hanger 18.

  6. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > hanger 18.

    make that hangar18. should it be anger18?

  7. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    The point was that it's interesting none-the-less.

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
    plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
    the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

  8. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/19/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

    > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=19566827
    >
    > it's comical that he's posting as anonymous. i think i have
    > discovered his identity. it was not complicated
    >
    > if i'm right, it's another malfunction from hanger 18.

    Odd that. I seem to recall a halfway decent article in SysAdmin about
    installing & using Plan9 (with kfs) written by a Hangar18 member (is there
    more than one?).
    Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
    normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel. The only things not addressed in
    his post is the original poster's comments about Rob Pike and the
    categorizations. The comparisons made, esp. the one about a coop [sic] tenet
    are odd, considering that the original article was about Plan9 running on
    Blue Gene.
    The comments about Rob Pike are even stranger (to me, maybe I'm
    misinformed); I joined 9fans shortly after having read that SysAdmin article
    & several other sources. I don't seem to recall anything particularly crazy
    coming from Pike that would indicate anything the poster takes for granted.
    Besides, GSoC is open to anyone, not just Googlers' pet projects. Beyond
    that, Rob Pike's name isn't even on the page anywhere....
    Pah, I give up with such crap...
    ;-)
    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
    plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
    the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

  9. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
    > normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel.

    yet, the moderator gives it a score of 0 compared to a 1 for the
    drivel. why?

  10. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > > Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
    > > normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel.

    > yet, the moderator gives it a score of 0 compared to a 1 for the
    > drivel. why?

    This isn't Plan 9. This is Slashdot. We don't need rules.

    - erik

  11. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.

    BTW i need a browser for my super computer.
    what do you suggest?

    (laptop with drawterm costs less than 1 hour of power.)

    the cray at the labs had a VT console. it was fun to use
    remote. no-one could write a program in that noisy room,
    well dennis must have spent too long in there but it was
    worth it.

    brucee

    On 6/20/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > > Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
    > > > normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel.

    > > yet, the moderator gives it a score of 0 compared to a 1 for the
    > > drivel. why?

    > This isn't Plan 9. This is Slashdot. We don't need rules.
    >
    > - erik

  12. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.

    I'm surprised no one caught/mentioned this:

    ------

    The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

    [...]

    6. C programming
    As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
    according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
    but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
    find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
    says.

    ------

    http://www.globalknowledge.com/train...=United+States

    -Jack

  13. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/20/07, Jack Johnson wrote:

    > On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > > opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.

    > I'm surprised no one caught/mentioned this:
    >
    > ------
    >
    > The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > 6. C programming
    > As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
    > according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
    > but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
    > find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
    > says.
    >
    > ------
    >
    > http://www.globalknowledge.com/train...tomgo.asp?find
    > =P38_FEATURE&id=18488&pageid=29&country=United+States
    >

    > -Jack

    I beg to differ, I know lots of C programmers, and only few good ones :-)
    (And I don't consider myself to be that great either...)
    I actually did learn C++ before C too, that probably screwed me up for good.

    What's a kid in an under-funded school to do when the only way he feels he
    can learn to program is to save up and buy a copy of Turbo C++ for DOS :-)
    (also known as the last IDE system I ever liked.)

    Dave

  14. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    "Bruce Ellis" wrote...
    > the cray at the labs had a VT console.

    At BRL I used to access the Crays via a DMD 5620 (commercial Blit)
    and later a 630 MTG via various Unix minis (supporting layers on the
    Blits) and local network. The remote feature of "sam" (-r option) came
    in handy.

  15. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/19/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > > hanger 18.

    > make that hangar18. should it be anger18?

    no, you need hanger18 to manage the anger18 at hangar18. They're all
    teens I bet.

    ron

  16. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis wrote:

    > BTW i need a browser for my super computer.
    > what do you suggest?

    abaco will run just fine once FP support goes in. Eric van rio and
    faces on one of the nodes.

    Not sure what you do with 130K browsers. parallel rendering of /.?

    ron

  17. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/25/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > Not sure what you do with 130K browsers. parallel rendering of /.?

    Server load testing. Of course.

    I suppose you could always spike your Google AdSense counts....

    -Jack

  18. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    probably ISP load testing is more like it. i wonder how many
    tcp connections i can open simultaneously before things
    get sick (anyone tried this on a rainy afternoon?).
    who will crumble first? the adsl modem? the local node?
    the aggregator? the traffic shaper? the accounting software!?
    or if the connections are scattered would some DNS blow up?
    maybe OSPF or BGP?

    at a higher level, swarming an online gaming site with 130K
    keen poker players would be something to watch, perhaps
    starting off with a small crowd and then getting silly.

    getting silly.

    brucee

    On 6/26/07, Jack Johnson wrote:
    > On 6/25/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > > Not sure what you do with 130K browsers. parallel rendering of /.?

    > Server load testing. Of course.
    >
    > I suppose you could always spike your Google AdSense counts....
    >
    > -Jack

  19. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    > The point was that it's interesting none-the-less.

    Someone who doesn't know what they are talking about ranting on.

    Interesting? Hardly.

  20. Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?

    On 6/20/07, Jack Johnson wrote:

    > 6. C programming
    > As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
    > according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
    > but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
    > find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
    > says.

    http://www.tux.org/lkml/index.html#s15-3

    Chris

    --