questions for the Plan 9 aces out there... - Plan9

This is a discussion on questions for the Plan 9 aces out there... - Plan9 ; i'd like to build a machine to handle plan 9 as my primary operating system. i wouldn't even have a problem converting my windows machine... i became interested in plan 9 while doing research last year for the company i ...

  1. questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...

    i'd like to build a machine to handle plan 9 as my primary operating
    system. i wouldn't even have a problem converting my windows
    machine...

    i became interested in plan 9 while doing research last year for the
    company i worked for at the time.

    here are the things that i find necessary in a computer in 2007:

    -a jukebox for my cds
    -a notepad for writing
    -a space to orgainize and distribute photos
    -a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
    apps

    that's about it for me.

    my question is this: is there a certain set of programs that i could
    assemble to allow a plan 9 machine to perform these functions? and,
    if so, is plan 9 a disaster to get installed and configured on a pc?

    thank your for your time...

  2. Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...

    hello

    you can do all of that if your hardware is supported, but the
    ajax-thing (abaco, the web browser, is able to show your gmail account
    in html mode).

    -a jukebox for my cds
    juke(7) may be, if those cd's are in mp3/ogg/wav format
    > -a notepad for writing

    sam(1)
    acme(1)
    > -a space to orgainize and distribute photos

    mkdir(1)

    > -a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
    > apps

    abaco (sources/contrib/fgb/abaco_test.tgz) will show your gmail
    account in html mode afaik, but forget about javascript at the moment.

    slds.

    gabi

    On 5/30/07, kcmunchkin@gmail.com wrote:
    > i'd like to build a machine to handle plan 9 as my primary operating
    > system. i wouldn't even have a problem converting my windows
    > machine...
    >
    > i became interested in plan 9 while doing research last year for the
    > company i worked for at the time.
    >
    > here are the things that i find necessary in a computer in 2007:
    >
    > -a jukebox for my cds
    > -a notepad for writing
    > -a space to orgainize and distribute photos
    > -a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
    > apps
    >
    > that's about it for me.
    >
    > my question is this: is there a certain set of programs that i could
    > assemble to allow a plan 9 machine to perform these functions? and,
    > if so, is plan 9 a disaster to get installed and configured on a pc?
    >
    > thank your for your time...

  3. Re: questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...

    thanks for the replies...

    what i meant by cd jukebox...i meant that i like to rip all my cds to
    my comp and use it as a jukebox. itunes is good. media player 11 is
    good. but, no frills is okay with me. this is one of the main things
    i use my computer for.

    as for the pics. what i meant is that i would just like to be able to
    pull pics off a digital camera and store them and be able to send them
    in email...don't even need to edit them at all.

    and, of course, in taking a look at plan 9 i was lead to inferno.
    haven't been able to figure out what, exactly, inferno is. is it just
    a plan 9 variant that's being marketed by vita nuova? i've read many
    documents regarding plan 9 (such as security and the first 20 or so
    pages of the manual) and a handful regarding inferno and i have yet to
    put my finger on what makes inferno different from plan 9.

    i used to program in pascal in the mid-90's. i wrote a game called
    "toxi city" for the mac. the two things i learned from that
    experience were collision detection and object movement. the last
    time i wrote a program was when i got a c on my ADA test that i wrote
    completely in pascal 'cause i was too busy getting smashed to even
    investigate the subtle differences...or learn the major differences.
    global variables and a semicolon.

    one of my friends was involved in a handful of playstation 2 projects
    along with writing an arcade game...she's been trying to talk me back
    into the coding lifestyle.

    so, is Limbo a good place to start?...she says C...but, she also says
    that someone needs to write a new language so that people who are
    capable of logic and reason aren't so frustrated.

    thanks all!

  4. Re: [9fans] Re: questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...

    > what i meant by cd jukebox...i meant that i like to rip all my cds to
    > my comp and use it as a jukebox.

    we call these directories

    > itunes is good. media player 11 is good.

    wrong, wrong

    > but, no frills is okay with me.

    you're in the right place

    > this is one of the main things i use my computer for.

    ripping cd's and listening to them ?

    anyhoo the encoders are here >
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/cnielsen/
    and a gui player here
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...ki/9vorbis.tgz
    though as a juke box I don't know what interface you'd like

    > as for the pics. what i meant is that i would just like to be able to
    > pull pics off a digital camera and store them and be able to send them
    > in email...don't even need to edit them at all.

    Lots of cameras now use SCSI over USB, a simple mount and there you go

    > i have yet to put my finger on what makes inferno different from plan 9.

    Inferno virtualises the OS

    > so, is Limbo a good place to start?...she says C...but, she also says
    > that someone needs to write a new language so that people who are
    > capable of logic and reason aren't so frustrated.

    I'd go with Limbo, though your target audience is small it's a language
    where you're not fiddling with memory allocation instead of solving your
    problem. Learn a bit and introduce your friend to it, she might be happy
    you did.

    > thanks all!

+ Reply to Thread